Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are you a Buffalo fan?

No, I'm not talking football although I did like them back in the day (Kelly & crew). They were fun to watch. I'm talking about the fund company. I'm looking to open a small position in BUFDX soon. I owned this fund when it first came out. New funds tend to do well their first year or 2 as money pours in and the managers' best ideas are used up. Sold the fund....now looking to pair a fund with PRBLX. I was going to use LCEAX, but decided on this. How many, I wonder, own a Buffalo? I never hear or see anything about them on the board.......so I wonder.....
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• @Puddnhead: In my opinion, Buffalo is a run of the mill fund house.
    Regards,
    Ted
    M* Snapshot Buffalo Fund Family
    http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundfamily/buffalo/0C00001YXE/snapshot.aspx
  • @Puddnhead, you had me all excited for a minute that maybe, just maybe, there were other "Bills" fans out there. What a tease:):):)
  • MikeM said:

@Puddnhead, you had me all excited for a minute that maybe, just maybe, there were other "Bills" fans out there. What a tease:):):)

I'm a Bills fan FWIW.
  • I'm a Bills fan FWIW
    Thank you, and all the chicken-wings you can eat! I always figure how fun can it be to be a Patriots fan, or a Packers fan, or a Steelers fan... all they do is win, how boring...:(
  • MikeM said:

I'm a Bills fan FWIW
    Thank you, and all the chicken-wings you can eat! I always figure how fun can it be to be a Patriots fan, or a Packers fan, or a Steelers fan... all they do is win, how boring...:(
    Yep, I always root against the same old successful teams. I know it gets boring for me. If not the Bills, I'm pulling for teams that are good and have a chance, but always fall short (i.e. Chiefs, Bengals).
  • edited March 2017
    Someday, the Browns will make it into the group that has a chance...but falls short. Today that's just a dream.
  • :) some times when I get frustrated with the Bills I think, I'd love to love the Browns. I was a fan as a kid in the early 60's (probably due to my father). Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly... Same blue collar fan base and also on the Erie. But, then I sober up. Only team more frustrating then the Bills is the poor sad-sack Browns.
  • There was a time I fell in love with funds. Then I realized there is nothing special about them. They do well when market does well and do bad when markets do bad. I keep FIFO selling and rotating back in to them.

So I've chosen Artisan as my fund family to do that. I don't need 2. Buffalo would indeed fit that bill if I did.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    My biggest compliant (really a conundrum) is that almost all Buffalo funds all have a 1.01% ER. You'd think they would shave .02% off these fund's ER so that they could be marketed as below 1%. Very curious.
  • @bee- conundrums are a good idea if you're a bit promiscuous.
  • bee said:

My biggest compliant (really a conundrum) is that almost all Buffalo funds all have a 1.01% ER. You'd think they would shave .02% off these fund's ER so that they could be marketed as below 1%. Very curious.

I actually appreciate that they don't use an ER<1% as a marketing gimmick.

That said, still don't think they're anything special.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    @Old-Joe,
    I might be "a willing participate" of these funds, but I'm afraid that if I revivified one I'd have to propitiate them all. Trying to limit the number of funds I sleep with.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    @Puddnhead,

Sorry for drifting here (Buffalo wings & longnecks again..then @Old_Joe stopped by). Your fund is very small (51 million AUM) so could be nimble. It has a short manager record (4 yrs). It's ER is .97% (I like, not 1.01%, burp). The fund seems 'very indexy" (no strong concentrations). For a fund that has a "dividend focus" I would hope for a better yield than 1.19%.

Compared to other LC blend funds, I have GTLOX, POSKX, and OAKMX on my short list.

FundMojo likes: TRULX, BRLIX, FOHIX & VDIGX

Hope that helps.

A few funds that historically have outperformed here:
  • Nothing outstanding about Buffalo funds in general with respect to fund manager, long term track record (good and bad market cycles) and expense ratio.
  • msf
    edited March 2017
    That's true now, but for its first decade, give or take, BUFSX was a very good SCG fund. 1% is a fair price for such a fund, it performed well, and it was a bit distinctive in that it employed some top-down (sector-focused) management. AFAIK the family as a whole still looks at sectors as well as individual securities in making investment decisions.

I can't tell you what happened, but in the past decade the family seems to have, if not imploded, certainly degraded. It used to have a fund - Buffalo USA Global (BUFGX) that focused on multi-nationals (a way to get international exposure without leaving the US), like Fidelity's Export and Multinational (FEXPX).

Its Science and Technology fund was also a bit distinctive in that it combined traditional technology and health care sectors. That was jettisoned as well, and the fund was converted into Discovery (BUFTX). That's a respectable growth fund that still maintains a bias toward technology and health care, but much less so than before.

It's often a warning sign when a boutique house juggles funds like this and becomes less distinctive. I stopped following Buffalo closely several years ago, but agree that now it doesn't seem to be anything special.

Side note: the four funds I mentioned, three Buffalo funds and a Fidelity fund, are all funds that M* used to cover but dropped.
  • Hi guys!
    Mike M, you were ambushed......lol. I knew you'd jump it.....lol!
    Pressmup -- quit crying. Have you seen the draft picks for this year and next? They should be getting better quickly.
    Bee -- Have been looking at GTLOX. I forgot about Glenmede. They have good funds. So now it's between LCEAX and GTLOX. Will kick it around awhile and wait for a pullback. Also, Bee, you're doing some great posting. Keep up the good work! Uh.....don't get a swelled stinger over the compliment.....lol.
    msf -- I know the herd isn't what it once was.
    God bless
    the Pudd