Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Doubts Grow Over Stock Market’s Trump-Inspired Surge

FYI: U.S. stocks have screamed to records since Election Day because investors are expecting Donald Trump’s White House to cut taxes for business, make regulations easier for them and goose more growth out of the economy. But investors around the world are questioning whether the rally is exhausting itself.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/doubts-grow-over-stock-markets-trump-inspired-surge/2017/02/24/b22e1c02-fa87-11e6-aa1e-5f735ee31334_story.html?utm_term=.c283bbf2d199

Comments

• Been working the last few days on my 'what-to-buy-when-it-crashes' list. I half expect some kind of correction at least.
  • edited February 2017
    Hi @Mark,

I too am thinking a nearterm pullback is brewing. However, reported corporate earnings are improving along with full year forward estimates being raised. I have read of some being in the low $130's for the 500 Index. Should this come to be then the S&P 500 Index perhaps from an earnings perspective is not overvalued although all the others feeds in my market barometer reflect overbought conditions. Currently, about 80% of the stocks within the Index are above their 200 day moving average indicating this is a broad based rally not driven by a rally of few but many stocks. With this in thought stocks can and most likely will move higher through the year. At the beginning of the year I targeted the Index to reach 2475 at some point during the year. I am still with this thought and if it should surpass this mark ... Well, that's even better.

I have ample cash to do some equity buying should a nearterm stock market pullback come. Currently, I rate the market as a hold due to TTM earnings valuation. Forward estimates are just that ... estimates ... and, they usually get trimmed.

I watched the market trade down much of the day Friday; but, in its last minute of trading it closed up! Go figure! It takes big money to do that! So, it looks as though, for now, corporate America is backing Trump.