Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Spencer Stewart leaves Grandeur Peak

(From an email)

Grandeur Peak Global Advisors

Dear Fellow Shareholders,

Spencer Stewart has decided to follow his heart and pursue a new path. As a result, he will be leaving Grandeur Peak shortly. Spence joined us in August of 2011, just after we had set up the firm. His first day with Grandeur Peak was on a plane to South Korea, and he has probably logged more miles than anyone else at the firm since then. Spence has been a great colleague, and has proven that he is a skilled investor. We are very grateful for his dedication and hard work to help us bring the vision of Grandeur Peak to life.

As of January 30th, Spence is no longer a lead portfolio manager of the Grandeur Peak Emerging Markets Opportunities Fund. Spence and I have been the managers of the Fund since its inception in 2013. For now, I will be the lead portfolio manager and Zach Larkin will continue as the guardian portfolio manager. Instead of immediately replacing Spence with another co-manager, Stuart Rigby will step in as a senior analyst to help in our oversight of the portfolio. Since the Fund is essentially a carve-out of our global portfolio, the management of the Fund is already part of our team’s daily portfolio considerations.

Beyond Spence’s investment insights and role managing the Emerging Markets Fund, he is also the primary analyst on roughly three dozen companies, so he leaves sizeable shoes to fill. Fortunately, because of our structure, the entire team is engaged in vetting and selecting our portfolio holdings, we have multiple people involved in the day-to-day management of each fund, and we have a secondary analyst on every owned company. In this respect, we already have people in place to fill the hole.

We wish Spence the very best in selecting his next pathway. We will certainly miss him around the office (and on the road).

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to our client team (Mark Siddoway, Amy Johnson, or Eric Huefner). You are welcome to reach out to me as well.

Best Regards,

Blake

Blake Walker

CEO

[email protected]

801-384-0002

The objective of all Grandeur Peak Funds is long-term growth of capital.

RISKS:

Mutual fund investing involves risks and loss of principal is possible. Investing in small and micro cap funds will be more volatile and loss of principal could be greater than investing in large cap or more diversified funds.

Investing in foreign securities entails special risks, such as currency fluctuations and political uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the prospectus. Investments in emerging markets are subject to the same risks as other foreign securities and may be subject to greater risks than investments in foreign countries with more established economies and securities markets.

An investor should consider investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses carefully before investing. To obtain a prospectus, containing this and other information, visit www.grandeurpeakglobal.com or call 1-855-377-PEAK (7325). Please read it carefully before investing.

Grandeur Peak Funds will deduct a 2.00% redemption proceeds fee on Fund shares held 60 days or less. For more complete information including charges, risks and expenses, read the prospectus carefully.

Grandeur Peak Funds are distributed by ALPS Distributors, Inc. (“ADI”). Mark Siddoway, Amy Johnson, and Eric Huefner are registered representatives of ADI.

globe1_bottom_left.gif

Comments

• Interesting... Anybody know what the "new path" is?
  • I think he goes back to Sammy Daddy who should be looking to retire at Wasatch. Yeah?
  • Probably going back to Wasatch to run the Frontier Emerging Smaller Companies Fund.
  • You'd kind of have to assume this would happen eventually. It's too bad because it seems like he's done really well at GP but hopefully they really are as prepared as they suggest. There's a lot of stuff going on between GP, Wasatch, Rondure and even at GP all by itself that isn't very common. I'd be pretty happy if things settled down and they just managed money.
  • LLJB said:

You'd kind of have to assume this would happen eventually. It's too bad because it seems like he's done really well at GP but hopefully they really are as prepared as they suggest. There's a lot of stuff going on between GP, Wasatch, Rondure and even at GP all by itself that isn't very common. I'd be pretty happy if things settled down and they just managed money.

I agree. This is mildly concerning to me. I'm not going to sell my position because I won't be able to get back in, but wouldn't love the "noise" toned down a bit for the rest of 2017.
  • https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/915802/000104916917000049/fit-grandeurpeakemopm22017.htm

497 1 fit-grandeurpeakemopm22017.htm

FINANCIAL INVESTORS TRUST

SUPPLEMENT DATED FEBRUARY 1, 2017 TO THE PROSPECTUS AND STATEMENT OF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR THE GRANDEUR PEAK

EMERGING MARKETS OPPORTUNITIES FUND (THE "FUND") DATED AUGUST

28, 2016

Effective January 30, 2017, Spencer Stewart is no longer serving as a Portfolio Manager of the Fund. Therefore, all references to Spencer Stewart with respect to the Fund in the Prospectus and Statement of Additional Information are hereby deleted as of that date. Blake Walker and Zach Larkin will remain as Portfolio Managers of the Fund.

INVESTORS SHOULD RETAIN THIS SUPPLEMENT

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
  • The three fund companies, located as they are in an area dominated by one culture, may appear to pass MF managers back and forth like (well..you get it).
  • BenWP said:

The three fund companies, located as they are in an area dominated by one culture, may appear to pass MF managers back and forth like (well..you get it).

:D