Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dept. of Labor, removes Wells Fargo employee reporting web site. “Well, isn't that SPE-CIAL?!"

edited January 2017 in Off-Topic
“Well, isn't that SPE-CIAL?!" In the words of SNL's, "Church Lady"......................

One could suggest that "no news" is better than "fake news" OR that no facts are better than "alternative facts", eh?

What say you, Mr. Orwell?

'Course fake news, alternative facts and accounting practices have affected investing for many years. I personally hope this does not become more of a problem.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-27/u-s-senator-says-government-s-wells-fargo-website-taken-down

And I thought the investing years since 2008 were "interesting".

And for the curious (which one should be, as an investor):
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• Government has been in bed with Big Money for a very long time. The current situation is particularly alarming. There is an active move by government to stifle its agencies and to cloud the facts, because they are too inconvenient and do not fit in with the new administration's collection of "alternative facts." But I learned in school always to avoid obfuscation: "alternative facts" = heinous, intentional, deliberate and dangerous fiction, brought on by willful blindness. But don't worry, "with enough beer and football, the people were easy enough to control." ----George Orwell, in "1984."
  • "with enough beer and football, the people were easy enough to control."

I thought that was Machiavelli, or maybe Nixon?
  • edited January 2017
    Hello, @Old_Joe. The full and more complete excerpt reads like this: "“Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult…. All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working hours or shorter rations. And when they become discontented, as they sometimes did, their discontentment led nowhere, because being without general ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances.”

– George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
    *This is what happens when educational standards get dumbed-down, and critical thinking is forgotten about. And that's been going on for decades, truthfully.