Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Funds Boat, overnight and rolling in the waves....

edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
Howdy,
Tis midnight in Michigan and my head should be at the pillow.
While I sleep Asia will have decided its path and Europe will still be in play.
I suspect a sea of red surrounding the funds boat when I awake.
We all know of some of the nasties surrounding our investments. I have been watching Australia and Austria. The Aussie market relfecting Asian markets and Austria as it has been reported over the past few years that its central bank has a high exposure to Euro debt of various countries which may be at below junk status, eh?
These two areas may seem a bit of a strange duo to watch, but they are part of what I view. Austria in particular has had the most serious declines in its equity markets; and perhaps this is a reflection that their may be truth of the country's bad Euro debt exposure.
Aside from many charts and indicators looking a bit nasty, the remainder I will have to pin to intuition. The best gains from today remain to be the "short" plays on many fronts.
Barring an overnight miracle, or the big kids deciding otherwise for the fate of our money; I fully expect to have to sit and grind through the day (Wednesday) to unload more of the equity side and related (HY/HI).
At this point tonight, looking to the morning should find Asia equities and likely Europe with a big head slap. The dollar remaining stronger, EM bonds down again and Treasury issues may give Bill Gross a case of the fits; as well as continued strength in other bonds of perceived safety. Sidenote: the U.S. remains the best equity sector, but I do not feel it will escape the mood of the moment.
One large saving grace(s) for Europe going forward is a further opening of the money gates of the ECB, forget about inflation for now and have full public display and cooperation from Germany. Otherwise......
Well,...........I may be totally off base with this proposal, but it is what I see right now.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• In 2 hours, I leave for a place where I will have no access to TV, phone, newspapers, email or internet for 5 days. Still in 30% cash. Will be interesting to see what the situation will be next Monday when I return. In the meantime I look on my temporary inaccessibility to the outside world at this time as a blessing.
  • edited May 2012
    Reply to @tgeno: There are places without iGadgets? Tell Apple.

Have fun on your trip (which, by the sound of it, is to the island in "Lost")
  • Actually, I'll be on a Buddhist retreat where the observance of "noble silence" is mandatory. I'll be meditating on the impermanence of all things -- like the value of my portfolio.
  • Reply to @tgeno:
    Along the way, such "silent retreats" are a thing I always resisted. Best wishes to you!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @tgeno: We do this every weekend- leave on midday Friday and return Monday evening- the Russian River weekend place has no TV, no cable, no computer, no email, no newspaper. Does have a landline phone, but is seldom used. Years ago we noticed on a cruise how relaxing the days at sea were, with not much to do except read and eat (that was before they built the current generation of "floating cities", which now helpfully allow you to take all of the world's problems with you). Decided to emulate that environment at the weekend place. Three days a week of San Francisco and the rest of the world are quite enough for me.
  • edited May 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Good for you and tgeno. Since getting IPad with 3G it's hard to imagine such a place. Have even (on occasion) toted it along to seaside while on vacation to keep an eye on things and perhaps make a trade. It's nuts I agree.
  • Reply to @tgeno: Please enjoy... I recalled past backpacking trips without news whatsoever were wonderfully relaxing.