Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Death of Leonard Cohen.

edited November 2016 in Off-Topic
I was saddened. He was a genius. And a true mensch. Buried without much delay in a private, family ceremony, in Montreal. One more location to tick-off on my own bucket list. ...He was from the (Anglophone) Westmount neighborhood in Montreal. On October 1st of this year, my wife and I toured the city extensively, by private taxi. Westmount is affluent and lovely. There are some great spots where you can look down upon the city.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-12811248

Comments

• @Crash: His singing leaves a lot to be desired. A minor player in the music world, in my opinion !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • ;) Another bit of evidence showing how well I manage to fit-in with the crowd, @Ted. ...Bob Dylan never could sing, either.
  • I don't think he ever claimed to be Leontyne Price or Pavarotti but nevertheless I liked and appreciated the music he brought to my ears. "Hallelujah" has been covered by how many other artists?
  • i too loved Cohen for years, but is this the most appropriate discussion board for music criticism?

Can't we stick to mutual funds?
  • edited November 2016
    @Crash I'm with you. Ever since Suzanne began to be heard on the radio, he has been on my short list for favorite writer of popular songs. Bob Dylan is right up there too.
  • @MFO Members: sma3 said, "Can't we stick to mutual funds? " Amen!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • sma3 said:

i too loved Cohen for years, but is this the most appropriate discussion board for music criticism?

If it bothers you, you can put this link in your favorites (or hit the topic "Mutual funds" on the left menu):
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/categories/general

That takes you to topics that are mainly mutual fund or mutual fund related topics. The off-topic category isn't required reading and is intended to keep junk out of the other categories. Unsurprisingly, off-topic became popular.

• edited November 2016
    Music is preferable to politics. Period.

Not that familiar with Cohen, But thanks, Crash, for posting.

BTW: Watched the '47 classic "It Happened on 5th Avenue" last night. First time I've smiled since the 8th. Great comedy - a bit seasonal as well. Having only seen Gale Storm in TV sitcoms in the late '50s, I had no idea what a delightful dish she was in her younger years.

The theme of the film is: "Income Inequality" - so it fits in nicely with LB's thread. Also, NYC's Fifth Avenue is the home of the famous (infamous) Trump Tower - quite timely in a sense.

• sma3 said:

i too loved Cohen for years, but is this the most appropriate discussion board for music criticism?

Hello! I made a point to mark this one, "off-topic.":)
  • Mark said:

I don't think he ever claimed to be Leontyne Price or Pavarotti but nevertheless I liked and appreciated the music he brought to my ears. "Hallelujah" has been covered by how many other artists?

I even caught a priest at a wedding using Cohen's "Hallelujah" as the basis for a song he sang to the bride and groom, as a wedding gift. It utterly changed the sensibility of the original, and was sickly, syrupy sweet. YUX. The poor soul was well-intended, though.
    davfor said:

@Crash I'm with you. Ever since Suzanne began to be heard on the radio, he has been on my short list for favorite writer of popular songs. Bob Dylan is right up there too.

THUMBS UP, @davfor.