Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barron's for millenials

http://www.barrons.com/next

I'm not intrinsically opposed to the idea of this site. But the "next 50 index" seems like it'll be just aso useful and successful as the one Wired had. The supposition in their launch goals article to focus much of their content at 200 words or less seems... questionable, and possibly insulting.

Just speaking as a millenial.

Comments

• Just dropped my long-time subscription (an el-cheapo one at that) because of irrelevance. Got sick of seeing Mario Gabelli and the like year after year.
  • Dropped my subscription years ago when the paper gotten thinner and fewer good articles. Same goes to Wall Street Journal. Not many good financial newspapers these days.
  • edited October 2016
    @Sven

You might want to try Barrons again. I suspect it's better (more content) than it was a few years ago. I'll agree there's a lot of fluff (like endless interviews with asset managers). And it's not going to tell you where to invest next week if that's what you want. So not for everyone.

But I've been reading it for 6 months now (after grabbing a $52 one-year offer) and thoroughly enjoy it - finding it much more entertaining and uplifting than the political news nowadays. It's also one of the few publications where I find the print copy easier to read than the digital. (Actually refused to respond to their hounding me to sign up for the free digital edition figuring I wouldn't use it but would be subjected to endless promotional emails from them.)

Just some contrary thoughts this morning.
    (We're Fair & Balanced here.) :)

• @hank, I will give Barrons a try again. For now I cannot go back to the paper version since tablet computers are so much easier to use and store information. My family love our iPads.

What I am looking for are in-depth market analysis. Surprisingly Schwab does a decent job.
  • After your $52 subscription is over, you'll get an offer to pay the corner-office rate.

• Or just burn through a few thousand more airline miles for a 'new' subscription. I do that every few years with Barrons.
    BenWP said:

After your $52 subscription is over, you'll get an offer to pay the corner-office rate.

• edited October 2016
    BenWP said:

After your $52 subscription is over, you'll get an offer to pay the corner-office rate.

@BenWP Thanks. But we didn't just fall off the turnip truck here.:) After the initial full price offer, I'd hope and expect they'd come back with something in the $100-$120 range in which case I'll re-subscribe. That's still about half of what a good seat at a Broadway show sells for - unless you want to see Hamilton, for which tickets are selling @$1,000 and up on StubHub.
    -

@Sven. Don't remember Barrons ever being particularly strong in market analysis. I've often cited Cheryl Strauss Einhorn's article sometime in the 1998-2000 period in which she predicted gold would only continue downward from its than $275-$300 price. It defied her projection by rocketing higher within weeks and doubling within a few years.

Afraid I took (or mistook) your comment to mean the paper version had gotten thinner in recent years - which is why I also stopped reading it. In defense, there now seems to be abundant content for those who enjoy a broader more generalized look at financial markets and specific companies and industries.

To your second point - Tablets are a great improvement when travelling. Passenger sitting next to you at 30,000 feet no longer has to fear a black eye, cracked pair of glasses or broken nose as you flip through the pages of the WSJ.:)

• @hank, my family has several iPads and we love them especially in our travel. Also they can do a lot more than web browsing.