Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Parnassus Statement on Wells Fargo

2»

Comments

• ... a culture that emphasizes risk management.
    For whom?:)

• Were I the PRBLX manager I would dump them like a hot potato as soon as I could. As the old saying goes, there's never just one cockroach!

I bought PRBLX b/c of its eclectic set of holdings and fairly solid history through several market cycles, not b/c it's an ESG fund. That said, I'm inclined to trim/liquidate for a bit to see how this plays out in the markets, even though it's "only" 5% of the fund. Plus it'll let me trim my equities a bit and free up some $$ to pay for my new car when it arrives. ;)
  • edited October 2016
    rforno said:

I bought PRBLX b/c of its eclectic set of holdings and fairly solid history through several market cycles, not b/c it's an ESG fund. That said, I'm inclined to trim/liquidate for a bit to see how this plays out in the markets, even though it's "only" 5% of the fund. Plus it'll let me trim my equities a bit and free up some $$ to pay for my new car when it arrives. ;)

Sounds like a good plan. The point I was trying to make earlier is that accounting for E, S, and G risks (that's what they are) among others is part of the fund's risk management approach, and the risk management over the years is what's made the fund successful: running about with the markets in good times, and protecting the downside in bad times.

For sure, though, they blew it this time.
  • @AndyJ - Hat's off to you, sir.
  • @davidrmoran - hats' of to YOU, Sir.
  • On today's show Ric Edelman lit into them as I have seldom heard from him, with more new (and worse) historical detail than I have read.
    Also these clawbacks are complete nonsense; they are simply future forfeiture (fractional) of huge amounts and bonuses. No clawback to it.
    I am bummed about Parnassus and wondering whether I should take all this new cash and add to DSEEX / DSENX. (I am aware they trade WFC, yeah.)
  • (x-posted to M*)

After much thought, I closed my sizable multiyear position in PRBLX last night at approx breakeven.

Reasons:

- Waiting for the WFC thing to settle, it's their newest #1 holding. (For an ESG fund, let alone on trust issues I'm not sure I even want them to hold it anyway, especially as largest holding in that concentrated fund)

- Slightly restructuring my equity allocations in the OEF portion of that portfolio, and will keep me from using other $$$ already allocated to market purchases to pay for new car when it arrives next month.

I may well go back into it down the road ... WFC aside, it's been a fine fund and has excellent long term record.
  • @rforno
    Totally agree re their excellence, but have been so satisfied with DSENX / DSEEX outperformance persistence that I am not missing Parnassus yet.
    (Was reading recently about DOD, SDOG, RDIV, DTD and others in the uncovered-value space, and CAPE mostly matches or beats them as well. So that algorithm, if that's the right term, is working fine.)