Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach/ DoubleLine Total Return Bond Fund (DBLTX/DLTNX) webcast tomorrow,Sept.8th

Please join us for a live webcast titled "Turning Points" hosted by:
Jeffrey Gundlach

Mr. Gundlach will be discussing the economy, the markets and his outlook for what he believes may be the best investment strategies and sector allocations for the DoubleLine Total Return Bond Fund (DBLTX/DLTNX).

Jeffrey Gundlach Total Return Webcast

Scheduled for: Thu, Sep 8, 2016 1:15 PM PDT 4:15 PM EDT 3:15 PM CDT
imagehttps://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1085768

@hank said
Glad I didn't follow my own advice, as I'm sitting on a double-digit return year to date. Cash wouldn't have done it. Still…

The "lower for longer" narrative is coming back into favor after the ISM services index unexpectedly tumbled to a five-year low in August. We can add that disappointment to last week's move into contraction zone for ISM manufacturing, as well as Friday's nonfarm payrolls miss.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/3207108-string-sluggish-data-boosts-gold

T.I.N.A
When weighing whether to stay in the market after the long run-up in stocks or bail for an alternative investment, people are following Tina's lead at the dance.
In investing shorthand, Tina stands for "there is no alternative."

Are you dancing in the market with Tina?
By Stephen Pounds · Bankrate.com
Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/investing/are-you-dancing-in-the-market-with-tina/#ixzz4Jc9LziJ0
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

And Goldilocks continues to dream sweetly !

DEFINITION of 'Goldilocks Economy'
An economy that is not so hot that it causes inflation, and not so cold that it causes a recession. There are no exact markers of a Goldilocks economy, but it is characterized by a low unemployment rate, increasing asset prices (stocks, real estate, etc.), low interest rates, brisk but steady GDP growth and low inflation.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goldilockseconomy.asp

GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks edge up, yields dip on muted Fed hike expectations
By Chuck Mikolajczak Reuters September 7, 2016

NEW YORK, Sept 7 (Reuters) - A gauge of global equity markets reached its highest level in over a year on Wednesday and U.S. Treasury yields declined for a second straight session as expectations for a interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve remained muted.The probability for a September rate hike inched up to 18 percent after the comments, from 15 percent in the prior session, according to CME's FedWatch tool, while expectations for a December increase nudged back above 50 percent.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/global-markets-stocks-edge-yields-203007331.html
@hank said Just read the Stephanie Pompoy
Is she a perpetual bear or what? The sky is falling.
What if Ms Yellen does raise rates @ Sept meeting ?

Comments

• edited September 2016
    @MikeM said
    I put a good portion of my self managed portfolio into DSENX (15%) after reading about the funds objectives and style,
    @gmarceau said
    Shiller's indexes almost seem like a free lunch at this point
    @davidrmoran said
    .." I have so much money in a fund"..
    Mr Gundlach referred to investors like you guys as "sophisticated" in recognizing a smarter beta product that has delivered the return it was designed to do.He again encouraged equity investors to consider the fund. DSENX

After a mostly entertaining hour and 15 minutes he finished with "enjoy the N F L season and Go Bills ! "

@hank said
    Glad I didn't follow my own advice, as I'm sitting on a double-digit return year to date. Cash wouldn't have done it. Still…

Mr Gundlach said "don't get cute and try to get every last bit of juice from the orange ".
    Get more defensive with less risky assets and cash

@davidrmoran said
    jeeeeeeezus, how can I have so much money in a fund where the co-manager thinks DT is going to win the election? Politics aside, what does that say about his intellect and thought processes and observational and analytical skills ?
    Mr Gundlach very briefly reiterated his belief that Donald Trump is going to win.

Mr Gundlach said he has no plans to open a Long /Short bond fund and doesn't believe a fund of that nature has a place in one's portfolio because of the interest costs involved in holding the short positions.And here I bought a fund ,CRUPX, of that nature to help mitigate my perceived risks .

Mr Gundlach said that the untimely death of his colleague, Bonnie Baha, had saddened the entire firm but her spirit and legacy would be reflected in the 21 person team she had personally built from an original 4 .He sees the firm as intact in Ms Baha's vision and mission.
    A note from one of Bonnie Baha's obits
    .Bonnie Baha, a U.S. bond portfolio manager who helped Jeffrey Gundlach turn DoubleLine Capital into a $100 billion asset management firm, has died. She was 56.
    “People don’t pay me to hope; they pay me to make an assessment,” Baha said of the trading call. “If you are managing risk by hoping that somebody is going to buy Lehman Brothers or whatever other bank is in trouble, you’re not really doing your job.”
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-22/bonnie-baha-doubleline-s-head-of-developed-credit-dies-at-56
  • >> very briefly reiterated his belief that Donald Trump is going to win.

Thanks for report. Hardly know what to think.
  • Apologies if I didn't catch this in TSP's posts, but JG said pointedly that rate risk is a place to dial back; the rate bottom's in, he says, with the failure to breach the earlier T lows. Also:
    - Reiterated that 2% on the 10yT may be a buy, but probably not for the long term.
    - The place to take credit risk now is in non-agency mortgages.
    - DBLTX is about as defensively positioned as it's ever been against rate risk - duration of ~ 2, distribution yield of 3.7%.
  • I had initially bought into the hype surrounding the total return fund DLTNX, but have since sold it and added to GIBIX. Before 2016 I didn't have any bond funds, as I held individual muni bonds, but half of them were called (had a total of 4) and needed to find bond funds that I could use for income and to funnel profits to on my equity portion of portfolio. With over 80% in mortgage related bonds, DLTNX seemed a bit too aggressive, despite Mr Gundlach's record. I am sticking with GIBIX, PFBPX, PYACX and STRYX plus CPXIX for some preferred stock income. My equity allocation of 65% has some fairly aggressive components along with some more moderate positions, figured my bond portion needed to be more conservative. Honest best wishes for other MFO members who have a bit more faith in Gundlach and his team. Please Lord, let him be wrong about Trump.