Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Android phone: Best choice for anti-virus/malware app. ??? Personal/business use. Thank you.

Morn'in.....
For Android phones, have you a best choice for anti-virus/malware app. ? The phone will have both personal and business use.
Free is not part of the consideration for which vendor is selected. We currently use Norton and McAfee on different laptops.
Curious as to ease of use and/or other "good or bad" circumstances you may have discovered?

Thank you.
Catch

Comments

• @catch: Does that mean I should double up on my positions in T & VZ !
    Regards,
    Ted
    P.S. Norton & McAfee are worthless. You need Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free Download)
  • edited August 2016
    @Ted . Not sure about "T", but VZ may actually make some money from their "AOL" and "Yahoo" companies.
    Using Malwarebytes on PC's. Will check for Android phones.

>>>ADD: PCMag review of Malwarebytes for Android, Feb. 2015 = more or less okay by PCMag, but comments suggest this is a very decent app.

Thank you.
    Catch
  • Your best choice for an anti-virus/malware app = iPhone. Somebody was going to say it sooner or later.
  • Hi @Mark
    Ha !!! Well, perhaps; but that is not a choice at this time.
    Thank you.
    Catch
  • catch22 said:

Morn'in.....
    For Android phones, have you a best choice for anti-virus/malware app. ? The phone will have both personal and business use.
    Free is not part of the consideration for which vendor is selected. We currently use Norton and McAfee on different laptops.
    Curious as to ease of use and/or other "good or bad" circumstances you may have discovered?

Thank you.
    Catch

I have a Nexus 6p and looked into antivirus - from what I've read, it isn't needed. The app stores vet the apps so it isn't a large problem with the phones.

Go to the google play store and search for anti virus apps - you will see that not many people download them.

If you are going to download something you are unsure about from a web site; go to your laptop where you have the antivirus software.

• edited August 2016
    Hi @DanHardy

Thank you for your input.

Here is a list (in bold below) of permissions required (select the "accept" button to download) by the Celly app for an Android phone. This list is directly from the "read more" list before downloading the program. The Celly app is used as a one way message/alert message delivery system; in many cases without a reply function. I have a pending circumstance through a business system to load this app in order to remain part of a notify network that is of consequence. The previous business system used the same format of notify only requiring my cell number. (Per your number 2 note down this page, a laptop is not and/or no longer a valid tool for many requirements today when away from the home/home PC) Tis the nature of the beast today as a requirement of functionality for some situations.

This app has access to:

>>>Identity find accounts on the device
    add or remove accounts
    >>>Contacts: find accounts on the device
    read your contacts
    >>>Location: precise location (GPS and network-based)
    >>>SMS: send SMS messages
    >>>Phone: read phone status and identity
    >>>Photos/Media/Files:modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    read the contents of your USB storage
    >>>Storage: modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    read the contents of your USB storage
    >>>Device ID & call information: read phone status and identity
    >>>Other: receive data from Internet
    control vibration
    >>>run at startup
    >>>access Bluetooth settings
    >>>use accounts on the device
    >>>prevent device from sleeping
    >>>view network connections
    >>>pair with Bluetooth devices
    >>>full network access

Updates to Celly may automatically add additional functions

WHY would Celly have a need for all the above???

You noted:
    1. Go to the google play store and search for anti virus apps - you will see that not many people download them.
    >>> At the Google Store, Malwarebytes indicates 5 million downloads. I have not checked other sources. 'Course other folks have loaded other anti-virus programs (via a broadbased program through a corporate structure) . Based on data below, only a small percent of Android users may have any anti-virus program loaded. So, if not many folks download such an app.; does this tell us anything? I will have to decide who I think is or is not at risk.

2. If you are going to download something you are unsure about from a web site; go to your laptop where you have the antivirus software.
    >>>Ah, here is a critical area. Most and more activity to the web is and will expand to smart phones. Now we're talking about more than apps with hidden goodies; now we're talking about folks electronically traveling everywhere, and mostly with their phones. I wish all of them a safe journey on the internet with their phones visiting the sites.

Side notes: 200 million U.S. smartphone users as of Jan. 2016, 53% = Android = 106 million Android phones

Top 15 Smartphone Apps
    January 2016
    Total U.S. Smartphone Mobile Media Users, Age 18+ (iOS and Android Platforms)
    Source: comScore Mobile Metrix
    Top 15 Apps % Reach
    1 Facebook 78.4%
    2 Facebook Messenger 64.1%
    3 YouTube 61.1%
    4 Google Play 51.0%
    5 Google Search 50.2%
    6 Google Maps 48.7%
    7 Gmail 44.8%
    8 Pandora Radio 41.4%
    9 Instagram 39.0%
    10 Amazon Mobile 33.4%
    11 Apple Music* 31.5%
    12 Yahoo Stocks 30.1%
    13 Apple Maps 28.1%
    14 Google Drive 26.8%
    15 Twitter 25.2%

Lastly. How many pre-loaded apps came with your Nexus phone.? Are there not more than a few that you choose not to have? Not only for the sake of using memory, but that you would have not personally chosen to download the app. Ever try to remove/uninstall some of those apps that you have no need for and also are not needed to support the operation of the phone in general? Good luck with this.

Last lastly. All smart phone users at this house has received and/or been requested to do this or that..........or else messages on our phones recently. Even with my technical background I can not make any determination of relationship as to why the messages appear and from what outside connection did they arrive.

Regards,
    Catch
  • catch22 said:

Hi @DanHardy

Lastly. How many pre-loaded apps came with your Nexus phone.? Are there not more than a few that you choose not to have? Not only for the sake of using memory, but that you would have not personally chosen to download the app. Ever try to remove/uninstall some of those apps that you have no need for and also are not needed to support the operation of the phone in general? Good luck with this.

I can't address all that you wrote - I don't know that much about it.

I got the Nexus about 1 month ago and it didn't have many apps on it - some google apps - chrome, play, mail, drive, message, maps, contacts.

I can make a few suggestions:
    To extend battery life:
    Turn down brigtness
    Turn off wifi when not needed
    Use all black background - you can find it on android central

Also to cut down on data usage turn off background data usage on all the apps you can.

There are interesting apps
    Goggle goggles - take a photo of something and goggle will find it.
    Sony audio recording
    iExit for traveling
    call recorder
    bar code reader
    Wifi radar

• Hi @DanHardy

Thank you for your reply. Glad to know your Nexus didn't come loaded with a lot of junk. Many vendors load android phones with useless apps. Our Samsung/Verizon is full of junk.
    But, I continue to search for proven methods to fine tune the phone.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited August 2016
    A general overview of advertised features/functions of Malwarebytes for an Android phone per their web page:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile
    • Detects and eliminates malware, including spyware and Trojans
    • Scans your apps for malicious code or Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
    • Alerts you if a link to a malicious website is detected in an incoming text message (SMS).
    • Scans your Android device for security vulnerabilities
    • Identifies applications that are tracking your location

Take your anti-malware protection to go
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile guards your identity and personal data on-the-go. So you and your Android smartphone or tablet are safe from malware and unauthorized surveillance. Wherever you are. Whenever you go.

Make your smartphone smarter
    Is that app or downloaded file safe? With Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile, you never have to worry again. Powerful anti-malware and anti-spyware technology protects your Android device. Detecting Trojans, spyware, and other Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) before they can steal your identity, eavesdrop, or degrade your mobile experience.

Choose what you keep private (relative to the Celly App permissions previously noted)
    Cybercriminals, and even legitimate companies, can collect private information from your Android device. Where you go. Who your contacts are. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile identifies what your applications are doing, and which private information is being accessed. So you can control who knows, and what they know.

Close the security holes
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile automatically recognizes security vulnerabilities in your Android device’s settings. Then it makes recommendations on how to close those holes.

Make your smartphone lighter
    Mobile security software is typically bloated with location features (Remote Lock, Locate on a Map, etc.). These features can already be found in your Android Device Manager—why duplicate them? Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile preserves your device’s performance by adding only the necessary security features. And you can update its database over a WiFi network to reduce your data usage.

Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware
    • Scans applications and files for malware and spyware
    • Scans automatically when files or apps are accessed (real-time) or only when activated manually (on-demand)
    • Scans native memory and SD card
    • Schedules automatic scans
    • Detects Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
    • Updates the protection database automatically
    • Updates over a WiFi network if preferable

Privacy Manager
    • Identifies every application’s access privileges in detail
    • Breaks down access privileges by category: Contacts, Identity Information, Simple Message Service (SMS), and Security Settings

Security Audit
    • Identifies security vulnerabilities on your device, suggests remediation

Application Manager
    • Identifies which applications are currently running
    • Identifies installed applications
    • Enables custom whitelisting of approved apps

• @catch22, like Mark pointed out - get yourself an iPhone. I had a Samsung phone and within one year I gave that away because it picked out all kind of nasty stuff. Some malware came from Android App Store - how wonderful!

This headache gone away as soon as I made the switch. Not that iOS cannot be hacked as the government recently showed, but Apple App Store is much more secure. The only app can be downloaded into an iPhone is through the App Store. Yes, it is therefore very limited as far as how many app one can have on the phones. I have the essential ones for my uses and that is good enough for me. With respect with security issue you are experiencing, I would move on to more secure operating system and devices.
  • edited August 2016
    Ditto above. Nothing but trouble with Microsoft OS.

No known issues with Apple IOS since we switched about 10 years back. We're not real heavy users. And I'm sure the Russians could hack anything we have. But, it's a relief not to be infected with dozens of bugs after every 2-3 years using a new device. I'm writing this on about a 5-6 year old IPad. Only wish the battery would die so we'd have an an excuse to go out and buy a new one.

Suspect the weak link with any of these types of devices is in the intercept of wifi and/or cellular transmissions. Take all the precautions you can re networks - but that's always the weakest link IMHO.
  • Hi @hank
    Microsoft, to the best of my knowledge only developed software for the Nokia phones related to the purchase of the company. As far as I know, all Android phones operate based on Google programs base.
  • Market share of Windows-based cell phones is in single digit, whereas the rest is dominated by Android and Apple's iOS. I learned my lesson with Android phones and moved on from there.

Blackberry once has a sizable market share among the business world due to their security features. Then came the smartphones and Blackberry failed to reinvent itself while insisted on the old business model. And the rest is history.

Today I understand that Verizon and perhaps AT&T offer two free Android phones with new subscriptions. I paid full price for my iPhone 4S five years ago and will upgrade to iPhone 7 later this year.

@hank, our iPads, iPhones and MacBook are still running strong comparing to my PC at work. Not trying to sound like an advertisement for Apple, their products are just well built. They do cost more but in the end we get much more done and being secured is priceless.

• @Catch. I don't think I inferred that Microsoft was used on Nokia phones. Just sharing our positive Apple experiences. Sorry if you found the comment confusing or needless clutter.
  • edited August 2016
    deleted

• hank said:

Suspect the weak link with any of these types of devices is in the intercept of wifi and/or cellular transmissions. Take all the precautions you can re networks - but that's always the weakest link IMHO.

I just did a quick search and it appear you are correct. I usually to a library if I'm going to use wifi. And I leave the wifi off when not using it.

At this point I use the smart phone for as a phone, messaging, mail alerts, audio playback and weather alerts.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-viruses-spread-over-wifi-75136.html
    "Wireless Worms
    In 2007, a study at Indiana University confirmed that malware designed to compromise wireless routers could move from Wi-Fi network to Wi-Fi network without user action. These programs can take advantage of the density of wireless coverage in urban areas, where multiple networks may exist close enough to allow for cross-communication. Once one router succumbs to the infection, it can launch attacks against any other router in range, spreading quickly from system to system."

http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology/57485/wifi-virus-airborne-malware-spreads-common-cold