Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond-Fund Correlations Increase Interest-Rate Risk

FYI: If the direction of asset flows out of stock funds and into bond funds this year is any kind of guide, investors are seeking shelter and yield in fixed income. But they could be getting neither.

Through the end of June, U.S. equity mutual funds experienced $56.2 billion worth of net outflows, while U.S. bond funds added $73.5 billion in net inflows.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20160804/FREE/160809953?template=printart

Comments

• See TSPPTransfer's post (link) at:
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/79405/#Comment_79405

(though you focused on a different portion of the article)
  • @msf: Only proves the Linkster is human ! When I grow up ,I want to be more like you !!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • "Only proves the Linkster is human!"

@Ted- Nah, don't take this so hard!

:) Regards- OJ
  • TedTed
    edited August 2016
    @Old_Joe: I'm happy, the S&P 500 hit an interday high, great jobs report without raising the chances of a rate increase this year, we are now ready to advance the S&P 500 another 7% (3320) by year end what more can a man want. Think I'll head to the Benz Dealer and buy me a new Mercedes.
    Regards,
    ted
  • Hi @Ted

You've worked and studied hard.........you are deserved of sufficient reward......

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited August 2016
    @Ted,That would be 2333 @ a 7% rise from 1:00 PM C D T SP 500. Your Cubs have you dreaming of a once every 100 year event !! That would approximate 3 deviations in Jeremy Grantham's view of reversion to the mean. Mr Grantham agrees with you on your optimism towards a continued rise in U S market.
    Last World Series title.108 long years ago.
    1908 Chicago Cubs Won World Series (4-1)over Detroit Tigers
    Cubs Franchise History
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/
    Immigration and Brexit
    Jeremy Grantham
    July 2016
    [On the investment front the equation remains the same: pushing stock prices higher are the twin forces of the Fed’s policy and corporate buybacks. Trying to push prices down is an impressive array of everything else: disappointing productivity, growth, and profit margins together with all
    our domestic and international political uncertainties. And now Brexit! It is a testimonial to the strength of those two bullish forces that they can steady the US market near its high, regardless, apparently, of what is thrown at it. I therefore remain, on the basis of those two remarkable pillars of support, for at least one more quarter where I have been for the last two years; despite brutal and
    widespread asset overpricing, there are still no signs of an equity bubble about to break, indeed
    cash reserves and other signs of bearishness are weirdly high. In my opinion, the economy still has
    some spare capacity to grow moderately for a while. All the great market declines of modern times
    – 1972, 2000, and 2007 – that went down at least 50% were preceded by great optimism as well as
    high prices. We can have an ordinary bear market of 10% or 20% but a serious decline still seems unlikely in my opinion. Now if we could just have a breakout rally to over 2300 on the S&P 500 and a bit of towel throwing by the bears, things could change. (2300 is our statistical definition of a bubble
    threshold.) But for now I believe the best bet is still that the US market will hang in or better, at least through the election.

P.S.: Having admitted my error in commodities, I would like to clock in the
    seventh anniversary of my “7 Lean Years” prediction for the economy back in 2009. The speed of the
    recovery, and particularly productivity gains, has been very lean indeed.]
    https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-source/research-and-commentary/strategies/asset-allocation/immigration-and-brexit.pdf?sfvrsn=11
  • TedTed
    edited August 2016
    TPS_Transfer:; Typo 2330 ! Raised on the South Side, I'm A Sox fan, so don't ever mention the Cubs in my presents.
    Regards,
    Ted