Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's on my mind,T-bills, Spain-equity/bonds, lets flip it ....

edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
Well, took a short noon time break and ck'd a few things. I did this before food intake, so perhaps my blood sugar is too low and the old brain pathways are a bit on the malfunction side.
--- 3 & 6 month T-bills appear to have some inbound cash flow today. Not gi-normous, but some folks want to go to this area for their own good reasons.
--- major market areas are flipping too much; we're up, Asia up, Europe down and then the other direction for the past several days.
--- noted about Spanish 10 yr bond last week. It did break 6% yield, now moved down a tiny notch. ECB can step in if they like to support this area; BUT the Spanish equity market is attempting to be down 4% today. Me thinks the money is letting the bonds lay where they lay, but there may be cash exiting the equity area for reasons of risk. The remainder of Europe is down, but less than 1%. This etf is a very close match to the Spanish market for pricing, EWP.
***Repsol/YPF energy is part of the Spanish-35 and the noted etf and is down today 7%; but only represents about 4% of the value. 40% of the value for the market index and eft is the banking related sector. YPF is noted as Argentina has decided to bad kids again and still; and has chosen to cause YPF to be a government run operation agains, after selling YPF in 1999 to Repsol. No, Argentina is not or will ever be on our vacation or retirement home list. Ongoing and serious cranial/rectal inversion go'in on down that a way.

So, just some blabber among the other gazillion things going; but which will keep my side attention for the rest of the week.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, tis back to work I go................

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• Rectal blabber is correct.
  • Hi Ted,

Will you be more specific. Do you not think any of the "mini" data was worth mentioning?

It is either the writer or the data to which you comment. Which might it be?

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Catch - Markets have seen increased volatility recently. This can signal a turning point so should be of concern. However, can't accept that there'll be a significant prolonged downturn before November. So, my guess is markets are just consolidating and will move higher in time. Sell-In-May mentality has potential to cause temporary hiccup. View based not only on the election cycle, but also the extremely low returns available to fixed income investors and what appear to be strong corporate profits in U.S. Also think if a clear front-runner emerges (Presidential) it will help markets more than if the race is close. Markets don't like uncertainty and there are some hefty fiscal issues to be dealt with in the Nov. to Jan. period. This optimistic view seems at variance with Skeeter & others. (Perhaps we been consuming too many of those expensive mushrooms) ... You mention bonds & rates ... I don't pay much heed to interest rates abroad which seem to ebb & flow. Probably should. Do understand, however, rate spikes may signal uncertainty or loss of confidence in a particular government or economy. Domestically, rates on high quality paper have veered into the "Never Never Land" of complete unreality. So, pay little attention to them either. (-: (-: FWIW - Take care, hank
  • Reply to @Ted: acerbus rex.
  • edited April 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

An assist ......

Acerbus - JM Latin English Dictionary:
    ADJ - harsh strident bitter sour; unripe green unfinished; grievous; gloomy.

Rex - JM Latin English Dictionary:
    Noun - king

• edited April 2012
    and here I was trying to be subtle... :o))