Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* has just utterly stopped caring about being reliable. Tracking portfolio options?

edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
Not Google. Please. Something easy and simple. Thanks..... I DO want to be able to enter total number of shares owned and purchase price. I don't need to enter every transaction, just want to be able to record total shares.

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Hi @Crash,

I have in the past experienced problems with both Instant Xray and Portfolio Mananger. Currently, for me, Portfolio Manager seems to be working ok but Instant Xray is not. Perhaps, when enough paying users, like yourself, cancel then it will, in time, get fixed. I am not a premium member.

I maintain my portfolio at both Morningstar and Yahoo. Neither is perfect and I have experienced mutual fund stale pricing concerns at both. This can be caused by many reasons but most often the fund companies themselves, or their agents, being slow to report to NASDAQ thus a stale pricing report being provided by the portfolio vendor. I believe, Morningstar does not update their portfolio manager after 8:00 PM Eastern until the early morning hours of the following day. With this, I check the portfolio I maintain with Morningstar the following morning and use Yahoo (as it seems to be more reliable) for my early evening numbers.

Perhaps ... How do we fix Portfolio Manager and Instant Xray? ... should have been addressed during their most recent Morningstar Conference. I looked through their three day agenda; but, I could not find anything published on the subject. The first step in fixing something is to recognize that a problem exists. If they choose to believe no problem exists then there is nothing to fix. I'd be a paying member if I felt I'd be receiving what I had paid for.

Crash, why not ask for a refund? That might be a good means to get their attention!
  • I've been toying with Personal Capital. SeekingAlpha has a free portfolio manager, too. In fact, most newspaper sites do - FT, CNBC, Bloomberg, WSJ, Marketwatch, USAToday, etc.
  • @rforno: I agree, there are too many other choices, who needs M* !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Crash
    You don't have an accounting method for what you want to do through TRPrice or whomever your're using for your holdings?
    We're able to see/use all related transaction info with our Fidelity brokerage.
  • The real question is why are you checking your portfolio every single day?

• Some people like that even if they're long-term, minimally-active investors. I do most days ... do I worry about every wiggle and weave or rush to trade based on what I see? Nope. Just like knowing what's going on.
    JoJo26 said:

The real question is why are you checking your portfolio every single day?

• edited June 2016
    rforno said:

Some people like that even if they're long-term, minimally-active investors. I do most days ... do I worry about every wiggle and weave or rush to trade based on what I see? Nope. Just like knowing what's going on.

JoJo26 said:

The real question is why are you checking your portfolio every single day?

Yes, I check each evening. But I know, going in each night, that I will buy or sell absolutely nothing. Those transactions are not done as a reaction, but on a SCHEDULED basis--- like just after each New Year, transferring profit from Riskier Fund A to less Risky Fund B.

@Catch22: Hey, Catch. Most of my stuff is with TRP, and I can log-in over there, no problem. I have other stuff, too, which I put all together at Morningstar, which up until recently has been reliable, with some hiccups. But in the past week or two weeks, M* has been smelling up the joint.

I have a watchlist at Yahoo, but will it let me enter purchase price and total shares owned? I think not. Some of those that were suggested above (rforno) are pay-sites. I tried one last night, but it insisted on being more complicated than I want to be. Thanks for all the replies. I am not paying for Premium Morningstar. It's gifted to me by TRP because they hold X amount of my money. And by phone yesterday afternoon, I let TRP know about the M* FUBAR situation.
  • All self-respecting long-term investors get up at 7, turn on the tv to see how Asia did, how Europe is doing, and what the futures say about the US.
  • Ben, to save on the electric bill and protect my ears from mostly inane prattle by commentators, I just click on Ted's always reliable morning briefing link. Your way is certainly OK too.