Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Oliver says these retirement savings mistakes could really mess you up

Mostly old news here but I'm hoping Ted will be on the lookout for an Oliver amusing video to follow. Now I have to go find and watch the one on 'medical debt'. Is it just me or is this guy one of the funniest comics going.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/john-oliver-says-retirement-savings-133039903.html

Comments

• @Mark & MFO Members: You wish is my command !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • What caught my attention in the article was the combo:

John Hancock-sponsored plan charged asset management fees of 1.69 percent

JH is an insurance company; it is selling annuities as retirement plans ((all the footnotes on the 401(k) page describe annuities).
    http://www.johnhancock.com/products/401k.html

The annuity wrapper fees are used to get the participants to pay all the fees for administering the plan. That's so the employer doesn't pay a share of the fees, which makes it an easy sale to employers, especially small ones.

Watch carefully, and you'll see that 1.69% is exclusive of funds' ERs (i.e. asset management fees).

• Yes, John Oliver is funny. I guess for some people, his moments of extreme inappropriateness and poor taste actually add to the humor. For me, they detract from it, but I can enjoy the rest.

The first time my wife hears one of those violations of common decency, she is absolutely done and doesn't want to hear another word.
  • TedTed
    edited June 2016
    @msf: Why was it necessary to relink the John Oliver video that I linked at the request of Mark ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Race condition. I was busy writing comments, and by the time I clicked "Post comment" (on a page w/o your link), you had posted the link.
  • dryflower said:

Yes, John Oliver is funny. I guess for some people, his moments of extreme inappropriateness and poor taste actually add to the humor. For me, they detract from it, but I can enjoy the rest.

The first time my wife hears one of those violations of common decency, she is absolutely done and doesn't want to hear another word.

If he didn't have an accent would he still be funny? I don't enjoy him; he is too strident in his presentation.
  • I watched that show and thought that was pretty funny. In fact it is sad how these investors are taken by John Hancock (or any other insurance companies) as their 401k plan administrator.