Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond King Musical Chairs: Gundlach Replaces Gross On Barron's Roundtable

FYI: (Scroll down to read Barron's Roundtable)
Jan 16 In recent years, bond investor Jeffrey Gundlach has been outperforming his rival Bill Gross. He has even been dubbed the "Bond King" by the media - a title Gross has held for many years. Now, Gundlach has replaced Gross on a high-profile investor panel.

Weekly financial magazine Barron's said on Saturday that Gross decided to quit its Barron's Roundtable. Instead, Gundlach, who has often been critical of Gross's investment calls, was added to the panel - which meets at the beginning and middle of each year - and he features prominently in the magazine's Roundtable latest cover story published on Saturday.

Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-bonds-kings-idUSL2N1500FE

Comments

• The other MIAs were David Herro and Marc Faber. Faber's picks, despite the knitted cap he wore on stage, really tanked in 2015.

• Herro's guru status has always puzzled me. OAKEX has seemed like a so-so offering from an otherwise great shop, whose performance always seems to be overlooked when Herro is trotted out to do an interview somewhere.
  • edited January 2016

Herro's guru status has always puzzled me. OAKEX has seemed like a so-so offering from an otherwise great shop, whose performance always seems to be overlooked when Herro is trotted out to do an interview somewhere.

+1. I think (and the charts show) that he did well against the benchmark when int'l was hot in the 'noughties, around '02-'07, and he got a lot of media play then; I remember him on at least one magazine cover back in those days. Of course his risk-adjusted performance hasn't been anything to brag about, but maybe the thundering journalistic herd just kept following him based on his gains in favorable markets.