Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Third Avenue Focused Credit Fund to liquidate

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1031661/000093041315004707/c83245_497.htm

497 1 c83245_497.htm

Third Avenue Focused Credit Fund

Supplement dated December 10, 2015
to Prospectus dated March 1, 2015

Effective December 9, 2015, the following information supplements the Funds’ Prospectus dated March 1, 2015:

At the recommendation of Third Avenue Management LLC, the investment adviser to the Third Avenue Focused Credit Fund (the “Fund”), the Fund’s Board of Trustees approved a Plan of Liquidation for the Fund effective December 9, 2015. The Prospectus is revised to delete in their entirety all references to the Fund.

Comments

• Here's the key detail: Third Avenue has distributed the fund's cash to its shareholders and placed all of its other assets in "the Liquidating Trust." That trust does not trade and you do not have access to the value locked up in that trust. Instead, Third Avenue will work to liquidate its illiquid holdings at the best price they can get. After the liquidation is complete, they'll send you a check for your share of the proceeds.

That process may take, they report, a year or more to complete.

FYI,

David
  • However did I miss this one?? Sounds like it was made specially just for me!
  • @Old_Joe
    We might have more opportunities ahead !
    House committee approves easing accredited-investor standard
    Measure with bipartisan support would expand the kind of investors who can purchase unregistered securities

By Mark Schoeff Jr. | December 9, 2015 - 10:58 am EST
    "We're trying to expand opportunities for Americans to participate in taking a risk but also engaging in the benefits of the upside using their knowledge, not only just a threshold that says you get to invest just because you have wealth," Mr. Schweikert said during debate on the bill Tuesday night.

As the committee advances the legislation, the SEC has indicated it will soon release a review of the accredited-investor standard.

Republicans have pushed to expand the accredited-investor parameters, asserting that doing so would help small business start-ups and other emerging investments raise capital.
    http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20151209/FREE/151209918/house-committee-approves-easing-accredited-investor-standard?template=printart
  • Good grief! Talk about not learning from the past...

The House... always the damned House. What a collection of morons.
  • Everybody just wants a big BOAT !!
    Derf
  • edited December 2015
    @Derf
    As in ,"but where are the customers yacht's ? "
    The title derives from the naive comment of a New York tourist who, when shown the East River was told "there are the great Wall Street brokers Yachts".
    https://books.google.com/books/about/Where_are_the_Customers_Yachts_Or_A_Good.html?id=99zVAAAAIAAJ&hl=en
  • Glad I dumped 3rd Ave. when I did, in '09.
  • msf
    edited December 2015
    The idea that net worth (or salary) can serve as a proxy for investing expertise is IMHO absurd. One can luck into money (win a lottery ticket). Even without that kind of luck, what is it that makes a surgeon (high income) any more knowledgeable about startup investing than someone who's bounced around from startup to startup?

This is why I feel that the whole concept of accredited investor is fatally flawed. Investors are accredited so that a company can sell stock to them without having to go the nuisance of filing disclosures. Who cares if the investor is being taken for a ride? Caveat emptor. The investor's rich - so surely he can watch out for himself, ask all the right questions to get at the information that would have been disclosed anyway?

This legislation seems like a reasonable step toward qualifying investors, rather than using wealth/income as a proxy. But it also strikes me as grandstanding. The SEC is already required to revisit accredited investor requirements every four years (Dodd Frank). It was in the process of doing so, with better insight. There was not a need for this blunt legislation.

Here's a nice summary of where the SEC was a few months ago, including some of the nuances of various proposals.
    http://media.mcguirewoods.com/publications/2015/SEC-Considers-Updating-the-Accredited-Investor-Definition.pdf?utm_source=Mondaq&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=View-Original

• edited December 2015
    @msf Yeah, I see what you mean. It all sounds so very reasonable, and yet there are so many phrases in the document that really chap my hide I eventually lost count of them. Geez, inflation on its own has achieved whatever they're trying to do with their "adjustments" so just leave well enough alone. Just leave it alone. I recently looked into a Regulation D investment and was surprised that the State of Nevada had its own restrictions, and what I would call "regulatory cautions," but nothing went beyond the pale. Frankly, I appreciated the formalized concern.

Too bad about the Third Avenue fund. I've had it on my watch list for some time and started watching it very closely this past Spring. Thomas LaPointe managed one of the first MFs I owned in the 1990s, the Columbia Conservative HY Fund, and managed it well, so I was hoping for success with this original idea for his sake. I think this fund was attacked by hedge fund shorting (I suspect iHeartCommunications, among others?). Although I thought he should have started lightening up on the distressed asset plays at the beginning of 2015, the present environment isn't exactly what one would consider The Perfect Storm--- something beyond his control had to have come along and pushed things over the edge, something that caused institutional money to bail on him in a big way.

See Ted's post for a more extensive update to the WSJ story as it was first released. It's pretty good.
    For those invested in TFCVX (from the Third Avenue website):
    There will be a conference call for shareholders with Thomas Lapointe, Lead Portfolio Manager, on Friday December 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM EST. Contact your relationship manager for the dial-in details and for more information.
  • Another one bite the dust. It is too bad that after Third Avenue was sold several years ago. Majority of their funds have performed poorly, except for the Real Estate fund. Same thing can be said with Royce funds.

• @Sven- I have the same concerns regarding Matthews.