Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is that my head on the platter? Pretty sucky today.....

Well, as things stand; our house is going to be working on a 0% return for the year.

Perhaps time to retire in total and spread the money around into the best 5 active managed balanced, conservative and moderation allocation funds and be done with the hard work.

U.S. dollar down and futures indicate commodity area getting a shot in the arm. Hey, what does the futures markets know anyway?

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx

Doesn't appear I'll be getting that self rewarding holiday investment returns bonus gift this year.

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• I'm going to Vegas early January, so my objective is to make up my losses during the trip. We all need objectives.

It's not been a pleasant year overall, but yin and yang are at work....some plusses offsetting the laggards somewhat. Down overall though...smells like 2011, except that my dividend stocks were the lifesavers unlike this year.

press
  • edited December 2015
    Probably the only one to make any money this year will be @Ted.
  • edited December 2015
    As of market close (12/03/2015) Old_Skeet is down according to M* portfolio manager by about 1.5%. In comparison, the Lipper Balanced Index is about even for the year. I have a good number of funds in the Growth & Income and Growth Areas of my portfolio that are generating positive returns; but, overall they can not offset the others that are down. However, my broker generated monthly statements indicate I have positive returns thus far this year due to special investment positions (spiffs) that I have utilized from time-to-time. With this, my trading activity has put me net positive through November.

With a current high P/E Ratio (23.1 TTM) on stocks (S&P 500 Index) along with as reported earnings in decline, a strong dollar and expectations of a FOMC rate increase I'm thinking it is going to be a bad year for my portfolio. I could reduce my portfolio's equity allocation downward another 10% and still be within my equity allocation range of 40% to 60% equity; however, that would put me extremely overweight cash as I am already above my cash allocation range now of 10% to 20% along with being light fixed income (currently at 20%) with an allocation range of 20% to 40%. In addition, other assets as defined in Xray remain at 5%.

So, it is what it is. Some years you make good money, some years you do not. In addition, M* portfolio manager indicates that my portfolio's mutual fund holdings combined and on average are currently off their 52 week highs by about 8.5% as I write. With this, I've got some funds that have been extremely poor performers, thus far over the past 52 week peroid, with the worst performers being my emerging market and global infrastructure funds. I am glad I sold my gold and commodity funds, a while back, as they would also have been detractors.

In addition, @Old_Joe, I am thinking that @Junkster will make money this year along with @Ted. Then there is @bee that is an active investor ... she may as well. I am sure there are also a few others ... so, let's not leave out @Scott.

And, so it goes ...