Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

2»

Comments

• Bought some more HQL when it cratered and it really really bounced today. Such trades are hard to come by these days for me.
  • edited October 2015
    Hi @Tony
    I did some paper trades with inverse etf's in a few areas and didn't do too bad.
    However, I found my daily time frame to put a pinch in this style of investing.
    For those who can really apply the time, there is excellent money to be had in this area with the markets hopping about.
    Mmmmm...thinking you had traveled to Colorado (me brain cells are faded today).
    Yes, you perhaps have rain to be concerned with in the near future, eh?

Take care,
    Catch
  • Bought gnw bonds yield 7.2%...bb~ rating
  • edited October 2015
    Moved a bit into the EM space, adding to an existing SFGIX position specifically. Will do this on a monthly basis with income generated in the IRA account. Everyone seems to hate EM, so that sounds like a decent plan. Foster trimmed China a bit as new cash came in, and he still has a nice India allocation which I tend to prefer.
  • edited October 2015
    Just enjoying the ride. As reported in your last thread Scott, we bought some OPGSX Sept 10. The turkey is up 25% since than. Hmm ... Kinda hot. Not sure what to do with it. (I'm not accustomed to success.):)
  • beebee
    edited October 2015
    johnN said:

Bought gnw bonds yield 7.2%...bb~ rating

Hi @johnN,

Could you remind us how well all of these individual bonds are working for you? Have you found helpful resources for researching individual bond selection and for cost effective ways to purchase them.

thanks!

• edited October 2015
    Hi bee. Think last yr portfolio for bond yield ~ 6%. Usually I would buy from zionsdirect [cheapest bonds for the price I found in internet.] but u sleep much better at night.
    You can also set up alerts on these bonds in google.com/alert (need a gmail acct) and if something bad happen you can try to sell these bonds right away. For the past 24 months did not buy anything that bankruptcy yet. I usually buy corporate bonds that are at east bb+ grades. You can find lots of reads about bonds or fix income investments in google.com/books that are free to read. You can also research new safe bonds from Schwab (they usually sell the safest bonds that won't bankrupt) but more high risks bonds are at zionsdirect.
  • edited October 2015
    You can also sign up for bond research at Moodys.com and you can call the broker (ie zionsdirect) to ask about these bonds before buying them. But I think boa or most firms have their own bonds but zions usually charge 1% less fees than others.

Munis has smaller towns thus usually I but bbs or higher grades. But do read books at google.com/books for research about bonds
  • @catch22,
    Considering buying VXX etn next week, depending. Short-term. Scary, but could stand some quick positive hits. Several smart articles however say longterm to short it. Hmm.