Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Boy, sure is tempting for a quick grab and run, GDX at 13.6 R.S.I. and related commodity

edited July 2015 in Fund Discussions
Been in and out of gold/precious metals funds over the years. In the wayback years.........well, I better not tell ya.
I don't recall a RSI of 13.6 for much of anything since 2008. A reading of 30 or less is considered a nominal low point for "watching" and a reading of 70 is moving towards the overbought area.
'Course, sometimes these trends have longer legs; not unlike a value stock/fund in a downdraft and the value continues to improve, except for those invested at a higher price.

But, as I posted on Sunday; many sectors in the broad commodity sectors are quite weak. Perhaps the big money is getting ready for an unwind and then a short term profit run.

Ya won't always be bitten by a barking dog; but caution should be observed as shown next, plus or minus a small blip:

NUGT today = -32%
DUST today = +31%

GDX chart, 1 year

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Emergent market still down 10+% the past few months...
  • edited July 2015
    @johnN
    Which or what emerging market fund is down -20%?

OKAY, I see that you have changed the -20% to a -10%.....

Per M* the range is from +14.4% through about a -10%, with the average YTD of .24%.

M* EM link
  • edited July 2015
    From M*: Industry > Basic Materials > Gold

12/26/2014 52-Week High: 1.06
    10/16/2014 52-Week Low: 0.95

12/31/2004 All-Time High: 1.14
    11/20/2008 All-Time Low: 0.55

• beebee
    edited July 2015
    For me, the sweet spot are companies in the commodity sector that pay a dividend that is sustainable and has a proven track record of increasing that dividend, quarter by quarter. Probably the best "bond" you'll ever buy.

Companies with little leverage or debt.

Companies that are increasing market share globally.

These companies are the "babies that have been throw out with the bath water".

Now the hard part...finding them.
  • Hi @Old_Joe
    Thank you for that info.
    Catch
  • edited July 2015
    Yessir- you are quite welcome, as always.

Edit/Add: @Catch22- Here's a longer perspective... looks like a decent bet, doesn't it?
  • Hi @bee
    Dividends are always nice. Now for the smart arse side of my investing brain.

If I can hold and keep a 10% return within 6 months maximum, I will forgo the dividend or income side of an investment..........I will call this a fair trade. :)

Catch
  • beebee
    edited July 2015
    Newsletter article that posted today from The Short Side of Long:

"My view is that the overall precious metals sector has an above average probability of rebounding over the coming weeks due to oversold conditions. Consider the following: Commitment of traders short bets on metals is at or near all time record; short term sell off in miners was a 4 standard deviation move; GDX stocks went through a record selling volume, more than 75% of gold mining companies fell to a new 52 week new low; zero mining stocks trade above 50 and 200 day moving averages; miners are down 30% over 3 months. All of these indicators, plus many others, foretell a short term selling exhaustion."

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/9cc4e575a1851ce3f56dc92fc/files/SSOL_Issue_07.pdf
  • catch22 said:

Hi @bee
    Dividends are always nice. Now for the smart arse side of my investing brain.

If I can hold and keep a 10% return within 6 months maximum, I will forgo the dividend or income side of an investment..........I will call this a fair trade. :)

Catch

FCX delivered 4% today and pays a dividend of 4.82%