Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

edited July 2015 in Off-Topic
Sold a bit more ICE (which owns the NYSE......:-( )

Added to Gilead, Ecolab. Ecolab is now a very large position. Gilead already very large position.

Comments

• @scott, did you catch GILD at a good price?
  • @scott, did you catch GILD at a good price?

I was selling some at around $122 and have been starting to buy that back. Working out okay. Ultimately, it's a long-term play; I just felt that the move from $100-120ish was a little too rapid.

I've grown increasingly fond of Ecolab as a buy and forget holding - that I think is worth considering as a conservative, consistent investment. With the drought in California continuing, that aspect of the business will continue to do well.
  • I've just been adding to my 2 daughters' 529 savings plans. Glad that I have the extra dough to do so. Otherwise I'm sitting still.
  • edited July 2015
    Hello,

Currently, I have the S&P 500 Index's price decline classified as a dip as we have yet to reach a five percent decline from it's recent high of about 2135. Should the Index reach the pullback range (2030's to the 1920's) then this will start to perk my interest. And, with this, I will dust off my buy list ... and, open shop. For now, score me as pondering.

I feel for me to make good money on a new spiff I will need to see at least a five percent decline from the recent high of 2135 before I open the first step of a spiff (special investment position). I currently have a yearend price target, in my mind, for the Index somewhere around 2220. For this to happen I feel earnings and revenues will have to make a good showing in the third and fourth quarters. I am not expecting too much from 2nd quarter reporting.

We shall see if this comes to be.

Wonding what others might be thinking on this?

Old_Skeet
  • Bought two Chinese ADR yesterday, ctrip and Qunr, a pair excellent online travel booking agents
  • Back to small cap biotech albeit so far only around 2% to 3% with the rest in cash for the moment. My fave is HZNP and bought that after their offer for DEPO Tuesday where I had a position and sold. Stocks are not my thing. I can pick em but sure can't trade or hold them. I was originally in HZNP in the 3s but managed to mess that one up and made next to nothing.
  • Added to ARII ( American Rail). Its a bumpy ride, and transports certainly have their issues for the near future, but nice dividend and I will just have to be patient. Scott, you still in?
  • slick said:

Added to ARII ( American Rail). Its a bumpy ride, and transports certainly have their issues for the near future, but nice dividend and I will just have to be patient. Scott, you still in?

Railroads have not done well, but honestly, I don't even think about them. For me they're maybe not a forever hold, but a multi-decade hold at the very least.
  • Art
    edited July 2015
    Adding to MAPTX, VVPSX, ARTHX. New purchase of HY fund. Maybe ARTFX or STHBX.
  • Art....MAPTX has really been taking it on the chin the last few weeks, but certainly not to the extent of the major China indices. I am not adding to my position on this, but not selling either.

I haven't seen too much linked to China on these boards with in-depth analysis...attached is something from the Matthews site, one of my favorite go-to sites for this area....but most likely you already knew that.

http://us.matthewsasia.com/resources/docs/pdf/literature/China/China_White_Paper.pdf

press
  • press...I have had MAPTX since 2006. According to Perfcharts a 173% increase since then. A manager change maybe cause for concern.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?maptx

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • was going to add small position [short in and out] YINN but too late lol...up 10% today
  • @johnN,

You would have been Shanghaied (sp?)
  • Wrapped up the FI portion of my IRA rollover:

Added to existing positions in PONDX, RSIVX, OSTIX and BERIX.

Opened new full positions in ZEOIX, STHBX, SAMBX, FFRHX and THOPX.

Eliminated a full position in LSBRX. Still waiting to do something with the cash for the equity side of the transfer.
  • closed my little adventure in XIV, made a few percent again. Every time I do it I make 1-10% deciding whether its worth it.
  • @PressmUp: Curious as to why so many income funds; no disrespect intended. I hold OSTIX and individual muni bonds (half of which is callable in a year). Is most of your portfolio bonds? Im 68% stocks 32% bonds and cash; 64 years young:)
  • edited July 2015
    No changes still...virtually all in equities.

OAK jumped big time today...now up 8.2% YTD.

AIG continues to increase nicely...up 14% for year. And, BAC back on the climb. (JP Morgan good conference call today ... I like Dimon. Fingers-crossed with BAC announcement in morning.)

AA seems to have finally stopped retreating...originally purchased at $8 but added at $16...sits about $11 today, ouch.

HCP just languishing...think I bought originally at $36 and added at $40...sits now at about $38.

FAAFX remains its miserable self...off 3.6% YTD. But DODGX up 2.5% and SIGIX up a handsome 10.3%.

c
  • slick said:

@PressmUp: Curious as to why so many income funds; no disrespect intended. I hold OSTIX and individual muni bonds (half of which is callable in a year). Is most of your portfolio bonds? Im 68% stocks 32% bonds and cash; 64 years young:)

Hi Slick...the post I made was purely for an IRA rollover account due to recent retirement. I have 4 years in what I classify as near-term cash for a bucket one or near-term expense category. Spreading my bets to reduce the risk of ruin on a bad manager call, there are 4 funds allocated to this role. My goal for these is for 1-3% return for each.

I then have another series of bond funds whose purpose is to fire off income to replenish the first bucket, and to serve as a general portfolio anchor in a classic sense.

My general goal is a 65-35 split, so not too unusual I guess. I certainly have been lambasted for having too many funds, but my belief is that this helps mitigates risk so I'm good with that... knowingly passing on perhaps a greater reward with a heavier bet on one or two funds.

press

• edited July 2015
    Charles said:

No changes still...virtually all in equities.

OAK jumped big time today...now up 8.2% YTD.

I think there is some concern that we are closer to the time where the world's largest distressed manager may do well.

Plus, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-13/oaktree-is-said-to-plan-follow-up-european-lending-fund?cmpid=yhoo

CELG up nicely AH after a big purchase and solid prelim earnings. Wish I'd added more recently.

Added lightly to BX in the upper $30's the other day. Not doing much or feeling the need to do much.
  • edited July 2015
    Three of my biotech holdings (pcyc, geva and rcpt) have been aquired so far this year, valuation is high in the biotech sect. Glad bought two Chinese ADR QUNR and CTRP last week. CELG is very good at BD activity, personally think they got RCPT at good deal.
  • BAC finally has strong quarter. Yeah!
  • @PRESSmUp Makes perfect sense. Regarding too many funds, I have a large corral of funds myself, only one of them is income, since the 40% allocation of bonds and cash is in mainly individual bonds. However, next year one of them will mature, and I will be adding funds if I cannot find individual bond I want to buy for the same reason as you -diversification of managers.
  • I am guilty of owning too many funds, as well. But I hate it when I sell a fund that starts to outperform and then closes before I can get back in.
  • I sold Calvert Conservative Allocation (CCLAX) as I own too many balanced funds (4) at the moment. I will put the proceeds into Janus Balanced (JABAX) which I own already. I have to consolidate my holdings over the next year or two. I own too many funds, in my opinion.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi willmatt72,

Just a thought.

May I suggust that you do an Instant Xray on the funds that you plan to hold as well as those you choose to discard ... and, then Xray them as a whole to see how those you plan to keep fit together. I favor CCLAX over JABAX. CCLAX is more of an all cap (style) conserative allocation fund where as JABAX is more of a large cap (style) moderate allocation fund. They are both good funds. Why not keep them both?

I don't know if you play any card games. I do. And, I have later in the hand wish I'd kept some of my discards. For me, CCLAX is a keeper. What else do you have that might be a discard?

I currently own fifty one different funds (four accounts) and the only reason I'd trim the number of my postions held would be to raise my allocation to cash in a tempoary defensive move by reducing my exposure to equities and/or bonds if I deamed warranted.

I think it more important to determine what your asset allocation should be based upon your goals, time horizon and tollerance for risk over the numbr of funds owned.

Something to think on.

Old_Skeet

• Old_Skeet said:

Hi willmatt72,

Just a thought.

May I suggust that you do an Instant Xray on the funds that you plan to hold as well as those you choose to discard ... and, then Xray them as a whole to see how those you plan to keep fit together. I favor CCLAX over JABAX. CCLAX is more of an all cap (style) conserative allocation fund where as JABAX is more of a large cap (style) moderate allocation fund. They are both good funds. Why not keep them both?

I don't know if you play any card games. I do. And, I have later in the hand wish I'd kept some of my discards. For me, CCLAX is a keeper. What else do you have that might be a discard?

I currently own fifty one different funds (four accounts) and the only reason I'd trim the number of my postions held would be to raise my allocation to cash in a tempoary defensive move by reducing my exposure to equities and/or bonds if I deamed warranted.

I think it more important to determine what your asset allocation should be based upon your goals, time horizon and tollerance for risk over the numbr of funds owned.

Something to think on.

Old_Skeet

Hi Old Skeet,

Thanks for the insight. Currently, I own nearly 30 funds, including VWENX, DODIX, JABAX, VTMFX, FCNTX, MITFX and quite a few others. In most cases, I do my research and pick good funds. Since I have a fairly high value portfolio, I don't feel the need to be aggressive. I'm satisfied with being a conservative investor (about 40-40-20, equities-bonds-cash). I'm 50 years old with at least 15 years to go before retirement. I'm not someone who wants to lose 20% of my portfolio in a given year. I know my limitations. If you would like to see a list of all funds and % of portfolio, I can certainly do that when I have the time. Thanks !

Will
  • edited July 2015
    Charles said:

FAAFX remains its miserable self...off 3.6% YTD.

c

Charles...do you follow the escapades surrounding Fannie and Freddie? I am holding Fairholme specifically because of the outsized bets here. Ackman was on CNBC today pontificating about FNMA, and pronounced it the best stock for a risk reward return.

press
  • PRESSmUP said:

Charles said:

FAAFX remains its miserable self...off 3.6% YTD.

c

Ackman was on CNBC
    The foreign ordinary shares for Ackman's Pershing Square are available on the pinks - PSHZF.PK. (original shares trade on the Amsterdam exchange.)
  • Yes, I follow Fannie Freddie saga.

And SHLD.

That's why I call my long-term FAAFX holding my Great Pumpkin fund.

c