Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tekla World Healthcare CEF

THW, the latest healthcare fund from Tekla is now on the market. As expected, it's trading at nearly a 5% premium, so not a buy today. Don't know what stocks Mr Olmsted is buying for this fund, or if HQL, HQH, and THQ have limitations on foreign companies creating a need for a global fund. Scant details at teklacap.com.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    A few thoughts:

1. I had no idea this fund was coming out. I got an alert because I own two of the other funds and was surprised to see it. There was nothing about the fund on the website yesterday.

2. Are there really enough major foreign healthcare names for this to be worthwhile? I mean, I know there's the European names (Novartis, Sanofi, etc etc) and others, but HQH (for example) is 12% foreign. This new fund can be up to 40% foreign - but "up to" is the focus (and 5% in EM.)

3. It can have 10% in private names, which is less than HQH/HQL.

I guess I'm just not seeing why I need this in addition to two of the other funds.

Edited to add: in terms of HQL, I see in the propsectus: "The Trust may invest up to 25% of its net assets in securities of foreign
    issuers, expected to be located primarily in Western Europe, Canada and
    Japan, and securities of U.S. issuers traded in foreign markets (‘‘Foreign
    Securities’’). The Trust may buy and sell currencies for the purpose of
    settlement of transactions in Foreign Securities"

and "The Trust emphasizes investment in securities of emerging growth Life
    Investments Sciences Companies. These investments are often venture capital
    investments. The Trust may invest up to 40% of its net assets in securities
    subject to legal or contractual restrictions as to resale (‘‘Restricted
    Securities’’), including venture capital investments. The Trust’s investments
    in Restricted Securities may include ‘‘start-up,’’ early and later stage
    financings of privately-held companies and private placements in public
    companies. See ‘‘Investment Objective and Policies.’’"

So HQL has up to 25% in foreign and up to 40% in private. The new worldwide fund can do up to 10% in private and up to 45% in foreign.

Honestly, I'd rather HQL's 25% in foreign and 40% in private.

• Exactly my thoughts, Scott. I doubt I'll buy it as I'm pleased with HQL and THQ.