Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Religion,Regulation, Regression ???/ Refugee Crisis/ Rewards for the Best

edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
“The proposed Gulf LNG Liquefaction Project will be a world-class facility within an existing world-class deep water port and, importantly, be located in an energy friendly state and benefit from a supportive community,” said Kinder Morgan
East Region Natural Gas Pipeline President Kimberly Watson in a prepared statement.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/2592005-kinder-morgan-lng-export-project-applies-for-ferc-approval
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/06/19/kinder-morgan-lng-export-project-applies-for-ferc-approval/

In the Footsteps of Other Popes, Francis Seeks Worldly Change
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN JUNE 18, 2015 NYT
For some of Francis’ most contentious arguments — about an economic system that exacerbates inequality and causes environmental degradation — he cites the words of his predecessors, especially St. John Paul II and Benedict XVI.

He attributes the environmental crisis to wealthier, industrialized countries that extract resources to feed an insatiable desire for consumer goods. Christians also, he said, have been seduced by this consumerism, despite the tradition of monasticism and teachings on simplicity by St. Francis and others.

“Christian spirituality proposes an alternative understanding of the quality of life, and encourages a prophetic and contemplative lifestyle, one capable of deep enjoyment free of the obsession with consumption,” Francis writes. “We need to take up an ancient lesson, found in different religious traditions and also in the Bible. It is the conviction that ‘less is more.’ ”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/world/in-footsteps-of-popes-seeking-worldly-change.html?_r=0

And a Refugee Crisis
"We should call this what it is: not just a 'refugee crisis,' but a crisis of global security and governance, that is manifesting itself in the worst refugee crisis ever recorded - and a time of mass displacement," she said.
Jolie and Mr Guterres's visit came after the UN said Thursday that the number of people forced to flee war, violence and persecution has soared to a record 59.5 million, half of them children.
Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugee camp in Turkey
Hollywood actress uses her high profile to draw attention to the plight of displaced people 3:17AM BST 21 Jun 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11689287/Angelina-Jolie-visits-Syrian-refugee-camp-in-Turkey.html
Rewards
The answer my friend...
Nowhere is that more evident than at the Cannabis Cup, which isn’t just a trade show but a competition that rewards the best buds, the best edible products and a whole host of other bests that the winners tout as green bragging rights. Steve DeAngelo, a longtime activist and the founder of Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, will receive a lifetime achievement award Sunday.
The first show in the United States was held in San Francisco five years ago, and the event has blossomed to where there will be seven in various states this year.
“I can barely keep up,” said Dan Skye, editor in chief of the 41-year-old High Times Magazine, the monthly that chronicled the high life long before the mainstream embraced it and now sponsors the event.
There’s no trade show in the world like this. Go to a trade show at Moscone Center, and you may get a free T-shirt and a key-chain fob. Here, you get a buzz.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Cannabis-business-gets-higher-and-higher-at-Cow-6339737.php

Comments

• edited June 2015
    ya, the new pope-guy is not so new anymore, but anyhow, I like what he's saying. Except about contraception. Funny that I should have just happened upon this item. I'm on my way to an annual bible-thing, though since retiring, I've not been in 5 years. Uncle Francis is correct. The church (in the wide, broad sense) here in the States is impotent because it has --- member by member, one after another--- bought into (pun intended) the American ethos of Consumerism and the near-dogmatic cultural assumption that nothing is better or worse than anything else. It doesn't matter what you think, or whether you've thought it out. The freedom to be stupid is worshiped, rather than admiring Learning. My words here won't meet with broad acceptance here at MFO, I suppose.
  • Why wouldn't they? You make good sense @Crash. The recent declaration of human induced climate change (HICC) has no place in the church.

"The freedom to be stupid ". It is sad that many consider this an accomplishment.
  • edited June 2015
    John, you said "The recent declaration of human induced climate change (HICC) has no place in the church." How so? If one is a believer then you were given instructions to take care of that which sustains you. Seems to me that there are few better places for this message.
  • I agree with you Mark. I'm not a religious person, but the Pope has the bully-pulpit to speak up for the poor and under privileged. This is actually a huge chuck of his job description I'd say. If you read about who is and will be affected most by climate change, it is the 3rd world, the poorer and less developed peoples. What more powerful voice do they have to stand up and help highlight a problem more than the Pope? There isn't one.

So, to say
    ...human induced climate change (HICC) has no place in the church
    well, actually it does.
  • @MFO Members: This thread should have never started !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • (I'm just wondering to myself whether JohnChisum typed the opposite of what he MEANT? I do that, myself, which is why I spend so much time proofreading. That, and my exploding cursor! But if not, JohnChisum is entitled to say what he said. I'm with Mark and MikeM, though.).......... Ted: wanna talk about fishing, off-topic? :) I'll soon be dropping a line in the water here at Opequan Creek in far-eastern West Virginia.
  • @Crash: Fish stories yes, religious stories no !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Unagi sushi.
  • edited June 2015
    Just curious Ted, if MFO is going to disallow talk of religion on its' web site then will discussion of the Amana Funds be forbidden? How about discussion of any of the "socially responsible" type funds which often mandate security selection on the basis of moral or ethical or religious principals? For more info see here from M*:

Getting Religious with Faith-Based Mutual Funds
    http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/t/65920341/getting-religion-with-faith-based-mutual-funds.htm

I am not, no has anyone has ever accused me of being religious so I have no hidden agenda. I also have never heard of a fish or fishing related fund so I'm hoping that you'll clue me in.
  • (Grin.) It's an off-topic thread, that's all... Off-topic could be A to Z, adultery to zeppelins. My whole career was in religion, so I can't NEVER mention it, but it is, after all, a mutual fund board. I like that. That's why I'm here, actually. I take Ted's terse remark in the friendly spirit in which it was offered.
  • Mark said:

I also have never heard of a fish or fishing related fund so I'm hoping that you'll clue me in.

I imagine that one would look for leisure funds. Here's an apparently old radio transcript on the subject. Old, because two of the four funds mentioned have been merged away (Invesco Leisure into American Franchise Fund) or dropped the leisure focus (ICON Leisure and Consumer Staples became just Consumer Staples).

Consider yourself clued in. No claims on the quality/value of the clue, however.

• @Mark: Just For You !!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
    Socially Responsible ETF Investments That Would Make The Pope Proud:
    http://www.etftrends.com/2015/06/socially-responsible-etf-investments-that-would-make-the-pope-proud/
  • The VICE fund would be more my speed.
  • edited June 2015
    It's a positive sign that the stock market has finally reached that "new and permanently high plateau" when an off-topic thread on fishing gains predominance here. What a relief!

For my 2-cents, I've always associated the James Golden Rainbow Fund with fishing. Probably because the rainbow trout is a lovely species populating the streams of many states. It actually resembles a multi-colored rainbow on the sides.

Around the Great Lakes, stream-run rainbows sometimes move from the streams into the deeper waters of the lakes, where they grow larger and stronger and become silver-colored. They're than known as "steelhead". Fierce fighters and a real prize to land.
  • @Mark: When The VICE Fund first came out during the FundAlarm days, I called it the 4B's Fund, Booze, Broads, Bombs, and Butts.. Low and behold the VICE Fund Manager at the time starting using the 4B's when referring to his fund in several interviews. I should have copywrited the 4'B. Yhe fund is now part of USA Mutuals under the symbol VICEX
    Regards,
    Ted