Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

2»

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Started small position in ZTS. Added a tiny bit to FEYE. Sold a little ICE.
  • 80% stocks 20% bonds in tsp portfolio. Not much changes the past 6 months
  • I'm buying some white wine.
  • "I'm buying some white wine."

Now that sounds like a plan! :)
  • Sold BX for Monday market. I had a decent gain, but looking for something biotech once the Greece dust settles. Hopefully I will get a better price.
  • @JohnChisum
    Speaking of robotics.The first link caught my eye this A M,which led my curiosity to the other two.The E T F is probably the way to go.Research U's, angel investors and private equity will be funding many ideas and applications in this growing opportunity.
    http://news.yahoo.com/rubbing-along-robots-tackles-abes-double-dilemma-010627172--business.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/robots/

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/12/considering-investing-in-robotics-stocks-in-2014-h.aspx
  • @TSP_Transfer ,
    I have ROBO on my watchlist but I am surprised at the lack of interest. I sense this area will really take off.

In the biotech sphere I am looking at IBB and SBIO both of which have been mentioned here. Also a stock MDVN. Right now biotech is under a bit of pressure so I am not in a hurry.
  • edited July 2015

@TSP_Transfer ,
    I have ROBO on my watchlist but I am surprised at the lack of interest. I sense this area will really take off.

In the biotech sphere I am looking at IBB and SBIO both of which have been mentioned here. Also a stock MDVN. Right now biotech is under a bit of pressure so I am not in a hurry.

Why not HQL? Just sit back and collect the div. Can also invest in private companies.

This was one of the private companies HQL had an investment in as of the last report and I think it's rather interesting.
    http://www.alterg.com/
  • "Why not HQL? Just sit back and collect the div. Can also invest in private companies."

Thanks @scott. I had forgotten about that one. Definitely worth a look.
  • edited July 2015

"Why not HQL? Just sit back and collect the div. Can also invest in private companies."

Thanks @scott. I had forgotten about that one. Definitely worth a look.

No prob. There's also sister fund HQH, but that's less biotech.

In terms of individual names, I still like CELG/GILD. I don't own AMGN, but that's worth a look and pays a decent dividend. Abbott also continues to be a boring healthcare/nutrition name with a lot of EM exposure.

Abbott also remains a fairly significant shareholder in Mylan (MYL), which has done well lately. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/abbott-labs-to-vote-in-favor-of-mylans-perrigo-deal-1434463633), "Abbott Laboratories said Tuesday that it intends to vote its 14.5% stake in Mylan NV in favor of Mylan’s proposed acquisition of rival Perrigo Co., a move for Mylan to help it fend off a potential takeover of its own."
  • okay, assuming stocks come under pressure today due to Greece, what under-pressure stocks would you be looking at? I assume not the health ones too much, since by and large they're resistant to world events, at least in terms of a real playable sell down, though maybe i'm wrong about that.
  • @linter, Funds investing in Europe primarily might feel some stress. Other than that, I cannot think of any others.
  • linter said:

okay, assuming stocks come under pressure today due to Greece, what under-pressure stocks would you be looking at? I assume not the health ones too much, since by and large they're resistant to world events, at least in terms of a real playable sell down, though maybe i'm wrong about that.

If anything, I'd actually be looking for health care for that reason. They held up rather well this morning and so far today. Health care is not entirely recession resistant, but it is defensive and at the same time, a lot of healthcare is seeing growth. Some healthcare is overvalued or richly valued (especially some smaller cap "binary" - does the one drug they have in the pipeline work? yes/no - stocks), but I think there's a number of tailwinds that will probably persist for years to come.
  • @TSP_Transfer ,

I used to own ROBO, but switched it out for XT. It didn't seem to go anywhere while I owned it. I still think ROBO might be a good long term holding though, and maybe at some point I will jump back in.
  • thanks, scott and john. i already own a ton of HC and was hoping to broaden my horizons somewhat.
  • After a evening of thinking and research, I bought SBIO close to the open today. I have HQL on the radar and might pick up a bit of that as well.

This all came about because I discovered that the health care sector was a bit under represented in my portfolio. I like to have between 15-20% health care stocks. I was at 16% but it went down to near 12%.
  • bought XIV yesterday as very small portfolio component. Plan on selling when VIX gets back below 15.