Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gasoline Prices: The Good And Bad News

FYI: (This Morning$3.35 In Chicagoland Southern Suburbs)
According to data from AAA, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States currently stands at $2.74, which is up 22.3% so far this year and 35% off the low of $2.03 from late January.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/gasoline-prices-the-good-and-bad-news/

Comments

• $2.69 in Southern WI today.Energy price overview:
    Gasoline prices rose to an average $2.77 per gallon at the pump (-24.5% y/y) last week

WTI crude oil costs eased last week to an average $59.23 per barrel (-42.9% y/y),

Natural gas prices improved to $2.98 per mmbtu last week (-33.7% y/y) but eased to $2.82 yesterday.
    http://www.haver.com/comment/comment.html?c=150527B.html
    Unemployment insight:
    Florida's 5.6% unemployment rate was below the 6.2% rate in the Miami metro area. Both were, however, roughly half the 2010 figure. Michigan's 5.4% unemployment rate also was under the 6.2% figure around Detroit, and both rates recently fell sharply. In 2009, Detroit's rate reached 16.0%. New York state's 5.7% unemployment rate was below the sharply reduced 6.5% in New York City while California's 6.3% rate was under the 7.6% rate around Los Angeles. Also, Ohio's 5.2% rate was below Cleveland's of 5.8%. Working the other way, Washington state's 5.5% jobless rate exceeded Seattle's 4.3%.
    http://www.haver.com/
  • Are we still transitioning to summer grade gasoline which might tighten supplies if I'm not mistaken?
  • Another comparison, Seattle has 4.3%. I don't have the latest number but Tacoma-Pierce County just 30 miles south was 7.1% in March/April. Some parts of WA state still had double digit numbers.
  • TRPrice enegy fund, New Era (PRNEX) published this recent article:

Fund-Manager-Views/Global-Oil-Price-Decline-Creates-Winners-and-Losers?
  • Good article Bee. I think they are right on many aspects. My portfolio is overweighted toward the energy sector however I only hold the major pipeline companies (EPD, MMP, KMI) and have for a long time. Nothing they are doing now would cause me to release them and in fact I expect them to be just the type of companies to be on the prowl for those mis-priced and distressed assets the authors refer to.
  • edited May 2015
    For me, mix of commodities futures markets (such as ICE, for example), energy companies (COP) and pipelines (ETE, for example)
  • edited May 2015
    More on @Mark and Scott's toll road theme ..

HIGHLAND CAPITAL MANAGEMENT | GLOBAL ALLOCATION COMMENTARY
    As mentioned, we expect a near-term bounce in crude
    prices as aggregate demand increases in the wake of capex
    reductions. The dislocation of “energy-related” names that
    do not have meaningful fundamental correlation with oil
    prices has created an interesting opportunity set. Opportunistically,
    we are buying companies at depressed valuations
    that have been subjected to the broad sector sell-off but
    have good prospects, even in a depressed commodity
    environment. While we think a short-term bounce will occur,
    we do not need oil prices to return to $90-100/barrel for our
    thesis to play out. Our investments in the airline industry –
    American Airlines (AAL) and JetBlue (JBLU) – still have strong
    fundamental upside and should see significant additional
    earnings tailwinds from lower oil prices. Our expectation is
    that industry players will enjoy margin expansion by not being
    required to pass fuel cost savings to consumers, so long
    as demand remains stable/growing.
    Another uncovered opportunity that does not have
    meaningful fundamental correlation to oil prices but has
    declined as investors have panicked is MLPs. Midstream
    MLPs in particular operate “toll-road” or fee-based business
    models that can offer stable and growing fee-based cash
    flows and low sensitivity to commodity prices and inflation.
    MLP spreads have significantly increased off of their 3 year
    average and are over 30% higher than where they traded
    at the beginning of 2014. Spreads normalizing back to their
    3 year average could provide a 12% return. And against the
    backdrop of global deflation concerns, one could argue that
    the stable, defensible, and growing cash flow characteristics
    of midstream MLPs are more appropriately valued at an even
    tighter spread.
    HCOAX
    http://highlandfunds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Global-Allocation-Commentary-Q1-2015.pdf

From the field:
    My call Jason on pricing is, I think that there will be a lag on commodity price recovery to sort of drilling completion activity. I think that could take 6 months and then I believe there will also be a lag on services getting pricing discounts off the books and back to sort of pre-collapsed pricing maybe as long as another 6 months. If I'm an operator, I'm going to hold this service guy down as long as I can. So we expect that to happen anything that's a little better than that is upside for us, but that would be my personal expectation on how this kind of plays out
    May 15, 2015 5:00 PM ET | About: Canadian Energy Services & Technology Corp. (CESDF)
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3188506-canadian-energy-services-and-technologys-cesdf-ceo-tom-simons-on-q1-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=6&p=qanda&l=last
    I own shares of HCOAX and CESDF.

May 28 2015, 18:19 ET | About: Dominion Midstream Partners LP (DM) | By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor
    Morgan Stanley’s M L P analysts initiate coverage of eight major dropdown M L Ps, citing attractive attributes such as high-quality asset bases, magnitude and sustainability of growth, and strong and supportive sponsorship.Lead analyst Brian Lasky's top pick in the group is Dominion Midstream Partners DM Lasky says these M L Ps and their sponsors also have surprised to the upside, positioning the companies for attractive growth and visibility: AM, CNNX, CPPL, EQM, SUN, TLLP, VLP.
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/2550276-morgan-stanley-prefers-dominion-midstream-among-dropdown-mlps
  • The toll road theme remains a very large focus of my portfolio.