Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The 4% Rule

Hi Guys,

A few days ago Dex titled a post “Is $1 Million Enough to Cover the Average American's Expenses in Retirement?”. It attracted a considerable MFO readership and many heated responses.

This big 1M dollar retirement question collected an impressive 79 total exchanges. That’s the good news; the bad news is that those responses came from only 13 independent sources plus Dex, who actively participated in the discussions.

However, regardless of all this activity, only one responder, Junkster, immediately addressed the 1M dollar question. Junkster and I did comment specifically on amounts below the 1M dollar threshold that reflected Dex’s specific budget circumstances.

The other responders mostly commented on other critical retirement issues like health costs. That’s fair given the complex multi-dimensional nature of the retirement decision.

For the most part, Dex rejected my analyses, which were grounded in Monte Carlo simulations, because they didn’t capture the nuances of his multiple wealth buckets and cash flow maneuvering flexibilities. That’s fair enough.

So I recommended that Dex do his own simulations using the highly regarded Flexible Retirement Planner tool. But not everyone trusts Monte Carlo modeling. That too is fair enough.

My eureka moment came this morning. Why not default to the simplified results of the Trinity study, which has formed a point of departure for retirement planning since 1998.

What is the Trinity study? It is a research study completed by three Trinity University professors: Philip Cooley, Carl Hubbard and Daniel Walz. The study used market data from 1926 to 1995. It defined a "success rate” as the percentage of time a retiree could withdraw a given rate without bankrupting his retirement wealth. Here is the Link to that study:

http://www.aaii.com/journal/article/retirement-savings-choosing-a-withdrawal-rate-that-is-sustainable

A 4% withdrawal rate, with an optimal asset mix of 75% equities and 25% corporate bonds, generated a 98% success rate for a 30-year retirement period. At a 3% withdrawal rate, that same mix had a 100% success rate.

The Trinity study produced the heuristic 4% rule of thumb advocated for retirement planning purposes. Note that it is only a point of departure. Adjustments should be made that reflect personal preferences and current circumstances, especially the present low fixed income returns environment.

I completely overlooked this useful rule of thumb and the Trinity study that produced it in my earlier postings on this topic. Sorry for this obvious omission. I hope Dex finds this useful as he wrestles with his retirement planning. Much online literature is available on adjustments that should be made to refine the 4% basic rule.

So, in its most simplified form, when planning a retirement from the expenditure side of the equation, multiply your expected annual costs by 25 to estimate your target portfolio’s needed starting value. Dex has done a superior job from this direction.

From the allowable spending side of the equation, multiply your portfolio’s value by 0.04 to determine your survival spending allowance. Remember, the 4% rule assumes a rather aggressive portfolio equity/bond mix.

By way of closure, I did a Monte Carlo simulation for a postulated 1M dollar portfolio with Dex’s current drawdown projections over a 30-year timeframe. The analyses suggests a very high survival likelihood (like 100 %) for the one million dollar portfolio using Dex’s estimated annual portfolio return (7%).

A million bucks goes a long way with a Spartan spending budget. Given Dex’s annual budget, the answer to Dex’s original question is an easy “yes”. However, I’m not sure that Dex’s budget is representative of an “average American”.

My purpose in this post is to separate the wheat from the chaff. I hope I succeeded.

Best Regards.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    >> A 4% withdrawal rate, with an optimal asset mix of 75% equities and 25% corporate bonds, generated a 98% success rate for a 30-year retirement period.

Would still be awfully nervewracking, I think, if your budget from investments called for around $40k annually and your retirement party was around Labor Day 2008. Or maybe worse, New Year's Day of the new millennium.
  • For a welcome change, I have no reservations with the information posted by MJG, above. I do have a question, though:

Regardless of the method used to attempt prediction of long-term financial results, a major component of this type of exercise necessarily relies heavily on an analysis of past performance, projected forward with an attempt to consider as many potential variations as possible.

And yet, we are now in the midst of a well-established major departure from past performance, in a magic world of bonds that pay virtually nothing, and equities that are supported, temporarily at least, by the Fed equivalent of the Hindenburg. (Note to MJG: I feel no need to supply lengthy references for this postulation- much of the current ongoing discussion here at MFO acknowledges this to be the case.)

I think that it's fair to ask if any current methodology is capable of incorporating these conditions into their predictions?

• Whether or not the current market really represents a major departure, the MC calc that MJG and I and others have pointed readers toward lets you specify low (or any) anticipated of rates of return. Fwiw.
  • Dex
    edited May 2015
    MJG said:

Hi Guys,

I completely overlooked this useful rule of thumb and the Trinity study that produced it in my earlier postings on this topic. Sorry for this obvious omission. I hope Dex finds this useful as he wrestles with his retirement planning. Much online literature is available on adjustments that should be made to refine the 4% basic rule.

I've been retired for 7+ years. I looked at the 4% rule years ago.

A million bucks goes a long way with a Spartan spending budget. Given Dex’s annual budget, the answer to Dex’s original question is an easy “yes”. However, I’m not sure that Dex’s budget is representative of an “average American”.

Budgeting for retirement falls into 4 types:

Hand to mouth - I have limited resources - I have to figure out how to live within what I have (includes a job).

Hand to mouth plus - I can cover my basics with a little for simple pleasures.

Comfortable - I can live the way I want - not going crazy

1% - I can spend whatever I wish.

In my budget I noted that I own my own home. In the budget I provided a person who rents could add in money for an apartment ($18,000/year?) or a mortgage. That is what is beneficial in breaking down the spending the way I did.

So, take the basic living of 19K (minus 3K HOA/ins) and add 18K = 37K (this would be the Hand to mouth plus budget)

No SS & No pension

4% Rule
    925,000 Investments

With SS
    (15,000.00)
    4% Rule
    550,000 Investments

From the recent posts about net worth by age - many people will be living the Hand to Mouth Budget

Basic Living
    House
    2,117 RE Tax
    2,556 HOA
    489 Electric
    928 Insurance
    300 Misc Purchases
    133 Mail Box
    6,522 Subtotal House
    Car 327.39
    138 AAA
    744 Routine Mtc.
    1,164 Insurance
    82 Registration
    1,800 Gas
    3,929 Subtotal Car
    Personal Expenses
    327 Income Taxes
    1,200 Cash
    360 Medical
    340 Cell Phone
    3,300 Food
    600 Wine
    59 Misc
    396 Internet Access
    300 Dining Out/Entertainment
    4,029 Health Ins.
    300 Clothes
    - Driving Lic
    -
    11,211 Subtotal Personal Expenses
    21,661 Total Basic Living

Incremental Living - 1
    91 Travel Trailer Reg
    492 Storage
    Good Sam
    Incremental Living - 2
    6,256 Travel/Education/Etc
    Misc Hobbies
    6,839 Total Discretionary

28,500 Total Basic + Incremental

• Note that monies in currently tax deferred status being; traditional IRA, 401k, 403b and related, as well as some types of annuity contracts will require minimum withdraws beginning after age 70.5.
    Current data, rules and regs and the calculation indicate near a minimum withdrawal rate of 3.65% in the first year from such investments, with slight increases thereafter.
  • Good point. I wonder if that is also factored into the Monte Carlo runs?
  • Hi @Old_Joe
    Wondering about this, too; with the MC machines.
    Also, LTC (long term care) health insurance policies have been noted here before, too. But from several years ago, many providers of these plans have withdrawn from the marketplace and existing plans were adjusted for those already holdings the plans and technically (IMO) breaking the contracts and/or making them so costly as to be prohibitive to retain or purchase. LTC plans which were generally offered via employer group plans are pretty much dust, from my understanding of this situation.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited May 2015
    I've taken the liberty to reformat Dex's budget data, above, to hopefully make it a bit easier to visualize:

Basic Living
    House
    RE Tax 2117
    Home Owners Association 2556
    Electric 489
    Insurance 928
    Misc Purchases 300
    Mail Box 133
    Subtotal House 6522

Car
    AAA 138
    Routine Mtc. 744
    Insurance 1164
    Registration 82
    Gas 1800
    Driving Lic (?)
    Subtotal Car 3929 (327 per month)

Personal Expenses
    Income Taxes 327
    Cash 1200
    Medical 360
    Cell Phone 340
    Food 3300
    Wine 600
    Misc 59
    Internet Access 396
    Dining Out/Entertainment 300
    Health Ins. 4029
    Clothes 300
    Subtotal Personal Expenses 11211

Total Basic Living 21661

Incremental Living - 1
    Travel Trailer Reg 91
    Storage 492
    Good Sam (?)
    Incremental Living - 1 583

Incremental Living - 2
    Travel/Education/Hobbies/Etc 6256

Total Discretionary 6839

Total Basic + Incremental 28500

• MJG
    edited May 2015
    Hi Davidrmoran,

Thank you for your perceptive comment. It is spot on-target. The ordering of investment outcomes is critical to the success or failure of a retirement portfolio.

An early retirement hugely negative market outcome can ruin initial survival estimates. Recovery might not even be possible. Like in any conditional probability analysis, a sudden surprise can significantly impact the originally projected survival odds in the downward direction. A recalculation is necessary with the added input.

That’s certainly one reason why a retiree must make an effort to preserve flexibility. Perhaps a reserve war-chest is the answer. Drawdown withdrawal adjustments are another candidate answer.

Many Monte Carlo codes now provide for a flexible drawdown policy input that adjusts for negative surprises. For example, after a negative year, no inflation incremental increase in withdrawal amount is permitted within the code simulation. If a second straight downward year occurs within the simulation, a reduction in withdrawal rate is automatically introduced to enhance portfolio survival chances. This is neat stuff. Of course, the retiree must be dedicated to execute this plan.

One advantage of Monte Carlo analysis is that by running a thousand or more random cases these bastard surprises are somewhat taken into account. I say somewhat because the codes that I’m familiar with underestimate their impact.

The main culprit is the Gaussian distribution normally used in these excellent tools. The historical data clearly shows that the Normal curve underestimates both the probability and the magnitude of outlier events, in both the negative and positive directions. Fortunately, these events tend to cancel one another out, but the imprecise modeling at the extremes does corrupt the survival odds a little.

I recognized that deficiency when I was doing my own Monte Carlo code. I corrected for it by using a patched set of distributions: the regular Gaussian curve for smaller standard deviations, and downward sloping curves that reflected the measured data at larger values of standard deviation. Survival rate projections changed, but not in a meaningful way that influenced the retirement decision itself.

Thanks again for your pertinent observation. It needed to be discussed.

Best Wishes.
  • MJG
    edited May 2015
    Hi Old Joe,

The inputs to many accessible Monte Carlo codes are sufficiently flexible to allow a user to reflect the current market conditions and/or the user’s special market projections. These are typically input in the form of estimated average returns and their estimated standard deviations.

In running these Monte Carlo simulations, it is generally “good practice” to test the sensitivity of survival outcomes to variations in these inputs. A feeling for the robustness of the portfolio, and the drawdown schedule options, can be easily explored in this manner. A parametric study can be completed in minutes.

One issue with the original Trinity study is that it used past historical data. One shortfall of that study is that when applied to the present market conditions, it is likely to overestimate survival percentages. Inputting a more sensible set of statistics for today’s environment should produce more realistic and trustworthy outcomes.

Thank you for your question.

By the way, Catch22 and you wondered if the portfolio holdings could be segregated into taxable, IRA, Roth IRA, or equivalent buckets. Some codes “yes” but others "no”. All codes are not equal. I recall that the Flexible Retirement Planner, that both Davodrmoran and I recommended, permits that sorting. It's a pretty flexible tool.

Again, thanks for all your interest.

Best Wishes.
  • edited May 2015
    OJ, you and others willing to do just a little bit of input work can see how this one goes and how it varies (yes, posted more than once before).

http://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/

I do not recall that you can spec bastard surprises for the first years, but I would be a little surprised if these guys underestimated their impact.

Certainly people who retired at the cusp of the millennium have written about their experiences, some of them anyway, online. The recovery of say VBINX since then is only a bit better than its recovery since fall of 08. Not ragging on the fund, which hits ~5%-7% annual avg depending. I never input 7% in any of these calcs, certainly not for here on out. Will be grateful for 5%.

These (for me) notions assume divs etc reinvested, none of this living off div stream and leaving principal alone.
  • edited May 2015
    Hi David- I took a look at the input page for your link, and was most favorably impressed. It has all of the input variables that I painstakingly developed fifteen or twenty years ago plus a few more also (but not, it seems, a variable "disaster" input), and I'm sure that the advanced mathematical modelling power will give superior results. I didn't actually run it, because I would have to spend a fair amount of time going into the financial archives to recreate our financial situation as it then existed.

In my old ss version, there was an input that allowed specification of both the percentage decrease and the year, to allow for modelling of a market disaster of varying magnitudes, and at different times. As I mention in the other thread, 2008 came real close to my "worst case" inputs. Fortunately, all of my other inputs were so overly-conservative that we rode out 2008 with minimal damage and no need to reduce spending.

I wish to hell that something like these tools had been available then!

Thanks for the link- OJ
  • Entirely welcome and I am certainly not the first to call attention to it here; it may even have been MJG, if not msf. Or some other worthy.
    Yeah, web tools are amazing these days, just amazing, in so many respects. You done good, but I am just starting out retirement, and find these good for anxiety modulation if one is prone. BoA, Fido, AARP, all have good ones, simpler, and everyone employs MC now. This one is just more complex.
  • Hi Old Joe,

Do not think of Monte Carlo simulations as some eloquent higher mathematics. It is not, I repeat NOT, sophisticated higher mathematics.

The calculation sequences within a Monte Carlo code are standard Spreadsheet arithmetic. There are only two basic differences. First, a very short random number generator and selection subroutine are an integral part of the Monte Carlo program. Second, the machine program is asked and is sufficiently fast that thousands of repetitive computations are made at lightning speed. That’s it; no complex math.

Talking about higher mathematics scares potential users away from this practical retirement tool. Please refrain from doing it.

The math in the Flexible Retirement Planner is no more complex than anywhere else. The code does offer a more complete array of user options.

Best Wishes.
  • If it involves anything much more advanced than multiplication and division it's sophisticated, to me. Regardless, your admonition seems unnecessary, as there is no requirement for a user to do anything other than to specify input detail. No worse than your basic income tax short-form. Whatever clever math is going on in the background is irrelevant.
  • @MJG, Thanks for this discussion.

In the original comment you stated that a mix of 75% equities and 25% corporate bonds was an optimal asset mix. Remembering Professor Wm. Sharpe on this subject, he came up with the mix of 64% equities and 36% fixed income. This ratio had the best return with minimal risk. The risk factor was barely more than a 50/50 portfolio but with obvious chance for further gains. (Investors and Markets. 2007)

Do you have a reference to your 75/25 ratio?

Once again, thanks.
  • HI JohnChisum,

It's been years since I read the Trinity study in detail. However, I believe the 75/25 equity/bond mix comes directly from the Trinity professor's study. Check the Link that I referenced in my opening post.

Thank you for your support. With you, Davidrmoran, and me, we just might be approaching a critical mass. Hooray!

Best Wishes.
  • >> anything much more advanced than multiplication and division it's sophisticated to me.

:)

I like the same thing about calculators you do --- enter data, click button.
  • Hi Old Joe,

I agree you can run the car without looking under the hood.

In fact, I made that exact analogy in an earlier post when I remarked that you need not be an auto mechanic to effectively drive a car, just like you need not be a mathematician to run Monte Carlo simulations. But the more you do understand it, the more effective will be your applications.

Some wiz kids are now using Monte Carlo codes to make more informed betting decisions. And the world continues to change.

Best Wishes.
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    Lots to digest here...burp.

I wanted to gather some best idea here:

1. Work out a budget, revise as necessary... long term success to your investment portfolio is figuring out how to live well without overspending your wealth. (Dex, Junkster,hank)

2. Segregate 4 years of spending into "near cash investments". (Dex)

3. Run simulators or use some kind of spreadsheet software (excel) to track different financial scenarios. (MJG and Davidmoran)

4. Strive for high returns with reasonable risk. Review risk and return as often as you re-balance your portfolio. (JohnChisum)

6. Be realistic about performance (5% - 7% for long term investments) and (0% - 4 % for shorter term investments). (Many)

7. Costs matter... expense ratios, loads, transaction fees and taxes all matter... so pay attention to costs and substantiate why you pay them.

8. Prepare for the unexpected costs increases such as healthcare, LT care and overall inflation. (Catch22)

9. Stay healthy (Junkster), wealthy (Ted), and a wise guy (OJ)
  • edited May 2015
    @MJG: If you wish to politely suggest that my commentary might be modified, that's fine. However, I'd appreciate it if in the future you would please refrain from directing me to "please refrain". I am a seventy-six year old adult, and have no need of monitoring from you or anyone else. Yet. Your adult children might also feel the same way, but that is mere speculation on my part.
  • Thanks @MJG.

Thank @bee for that roundup.
  • Dunno about that "wiseguy" part. I may have to direct him to refrain from that sort of thing.:)
  • I don't have 4y of near cash, rightly or wrongly, maybe half that, and I pay little attention to ERs, rightly or wrongly (do feel I can defend, yeah). I study downside performance intently.

If we all get near 7% longterm from this high point, we'll be lucky indeed.

When I run the calcs, most of the time I put in 10% below my actual nut as of CoB.

>> politely suggest that my commentary might be modified,

haha, a motto for this group.
  • Which "group", he asked suspiciously?

:)
  • HInDavidrmoran,

I too do not have anywhere near 4 years of immediately available.cash.

But I do have the equivalent of 4 years cash in a very low cost short term corporate bond mutual fund with easy access. There is some small risk there, but I have used that resource in an emergency situation with very acceptable results.

Best Wishes.
  • 4y is just too high a percentage of my egg to be in cash or even a short-term corporate bond fund.
  • Regarding my disdain for Monte Carlo and will try in the future to just stay out of discussions where it is brought up. I am not rich/wealthy or remotely close. But I am single, debt free, and frugal. The 90s were good to me, especially 98 and 99. Even with a divorce, that decade gave me a nice size base of capital to compound over the ensuing years. Based on my annual living expenses, including travel and vacations and accounting for inflation and even throwing in an extra $10,000 a year for whatever, I have more than enough to make it well past 100. It does not take a rocket scientist (or engineer) or a Monte Carlo aficionado to figure that out. I got to where I am now with no knowledge whatsoever of Monte Carlo analysis. Or for that matter a knowledge of math and statistics. Monte Carlo at least to me, seems to just be a distraction for those trying to compound their retirement nest egg.
  • @Junkster- Sir, you've clearly identified the two major conditions for successful retirement: debt free, and frugal. Without those two conditions, all of the spreadsheets, math, or Monte Carlo simulations are totally useless.

Congratulations. And, having just watched (yet again) an old episode of Star Trek: "Live long and prosper!"

Best regards- OJ
  • edited May 2015
    Old_Joe said:

@Junkster- Sir, you've clearly identified the two major conditions for successful retirement: debt free, and frugal...

Having lots of money helps too.:)