Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

McDonalds Going on a Diet

edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/04/us-mcdonalds-restructuring-idUSKBN0NP12520150504

I get bad vibes here. But a fast-food chain can't go belly-up like Radio Shack did. Can it?

Comments

• I would like to see example of their future menu which gets headlines but no mention in the stories. So far it is all cost cutting and reorganizing. Not enough IMO.
  • They really hyped up that McDonalds was going to make some big announcement. It was a lot of corporate nonsense - regrouping, restructuring, etc.

This was a terrible announcement and I'm not surprised it went lower. McDonalds isn't going anywhere - I mean, it's not Sears - but today announced absolutely nothing that will win back customers and what they did announce wasn't very detailed at all. It's not that McDonalds needs a massive revolution, but they do need an evolution and there wasn't any of that in the announcement today.

I'd be ticked if I was a shareholder and I have zero interest in being one after this.
  • Aw, c'mon now Scott- what about the Bundt cake?
  • There's a McBundt cake?
  • edited May 2015
    According to this morning's WSJ. I do believe that you just officially named it, though. Quick- take out a copyright on that- it'll be worth millions!
  • I don't think a McBundt will solve any issues at MCD. The menu needs some refreshing. They have tried sandwiches and salads but I'm not sure those went over well enough to encourage anyone.

I hope they don't screw around with their fries like Burger King did. Those things are horrible. McDonalds still has good French fries. Occasionally I still enjoy a quarter pounder and fries even though I have to watch my carbs closely.
  • edited May 2015
    "McDonalds still has good French fries."

Well, yes, I have to admit that I really liked them too. Until. Thirty years ago a company that I worked for repaired McDonalds restaurant equipment. McDonalds recycled their deep fry oil, using a 1/3hp electric pump with a cast iron housing and impeller, to pump the used oil through filters to try and clean it up some before reuse. A common failure mode was that the oil got so thick, greasy, and full of foreign matter that the pumps would seize up and burn out the motor. After seeing the inside of those pumps I never ate at McDonalds again, ever.

Note: The observations expressed here are mine, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. I do vouch for the accuracy, but perhaps not for the appropriateness of any of it,
  • That must have been back in the beef tallow days.
  • edited May 2015
    Yes, probably was. The oil had to be heated so as to pump it. If it cooled inside the pump, tallow/sludge could jam the pump. Really gross. It was hard to look at the inside of that pump and not think about the inside of my pump!
  • edited May 2015
    @OJ

Ahh ... But they tasted good!

In the younger dumber years I feasted on Big Macs & fries. Had I known I was going to live so long, would have taken better care of myself.

Lots of salt. Lots of fat. Wash em down with a calorie-laden shake.:)
    -

PS: That's part of their problem. Population knows more about nutrition today. And we boomers who survived have wised-up a lot.
  • edited May 2015
    There was a small resto in my younger days that had good burgers and fries. But the best thing on their menu was a grilled turkey sandwich with Swiss cheese and bacon served on sourdough bread. My mouth waters thinking about it. Now If McDonalds put something like that on their menu.

@hank, the milkshakes today are some concoction that is already made up and comes in big bags or cartons. When they used to make real milkshakes, those were good.

What I would give for a good chocolate malt. Nobody serves those anymore except small places here and there.

Now I'm hungry. Who started this thread?
  • @JohnC. Old Joe started the food part.:)
  • edited May 2015
    There's a family restaurant down in Monterey that does a GREAT burger and fries, and a REAL MILKSHAKE with REAL ICE CREAM and comes in the metal mixing can so you even get "seconds". Very serious calories, and I absolutely love it. One or two of those a year- if I croak a few weeks early it was worth it!

They also do a turkey/swiss.bacon club sandwich very much like the one you describe. That's good with coleslaw, and I can easily convince myself that since cabbage is in the coleslaw the whole shebang must be good for me.:) The power of positive thinking!
  • @Old_Joe, Now that this thread has derailed into a food thread, and rightfully so, I was in Monterey years ago on the boardwalk. No burger or shake but I enjoyed the best clam chowder I've ever had. I should make it a point to go back there someday.

Those real milkshakes with the metal container are so good. I also enjoyed the seconds portion. One can easily forget the health consequences with food like that, and they should.
  • edited May 2015
    They sell Nathan's Famous frozen fries in grocery freezers in some areas. Thick cut fries, no salt added. Throw some olive oil on them, a little basil, dill, garlic and salt/pepper and I'd take that over fast food fries any day. Cheap, too. Whole Foods fries aren't bad either and the basic fries have no salt added, which I like - I like a little salt added at times, but it's nice to be able to control how much.

As for McD's, they are not going anywhere, but they have to focus on changing the customer experience. Restructuring and other corporate nonsense is not going to get people in. The new Artisan chicken sandwich isn't getting great reviews and the Bundt cake thing is hilarious.

• They need to come up with new ideas. Something no one else has. I wonder how much the person that recommended the bundt cake earns?

Maybe more upscale items? Or, add some old favorites like french dip sandwiches or meatball sandwiches etc.

I found it interesting that the stores that were losing the most revenue were the company owned ones. The big reason they are putting them up for franchising.
  • Sorry, my infrequent stops at McDonalds produce ingestion of one original cheeseburger. Otherwise, why go?
  • edited May 2015

They need to come up with new ideas. Something no one else has. I wonder how much the person that recommended the bundt cake earns?

Maybe more upscale items? Or, add some old favorites like french dip sandwiches or meatball sandwiches etc.

I found it interesting that the stores that were losing the most revenue were the company owned ones. The big reason they are putting them up for franchising.

Right. It's McDonalds, it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, but clearly it needs some new ideas and innovation.

Also, because it's McDonalds, have to add probably the best summary of McDonalds ever:

• @MFO Members: In the Chicagoland area McDonald's is so yesterday. Culver's makes a far superior burger and a much wider selection of menu items.
    Regards,
    Ted
    (McDonald's turnaround plan 'more of just catching up')
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-mcdonalds-turnaround-plan-0505-biz-20150504-story.html#page=1

Culver's Menu:
    http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2015
    @MO

LOL I don't think they even sell Big Macs anymore. That was a great tasting - if unhealthy - burger IMHO. I'll still stop at McDonalds for coffee if travelling. Otherwise, I avoid them like the plague nowadays.
  • They still sell it over here. Maybe the new Federal Food Police banned it in the US?
  • edited May 2015
    Okay, nevermind what I said. Stick a fork in McD's, it's done. After reading the link below, I had to check it wasn't April Fool's day. It's just wrong on so many levels.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/06/new_hamburglar_mcdonald_s_updated_dad_thief_looks_like_he_s_having_a_midlife.html

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/5/6/8561361/mcdonalds-hamburglar-dad

I think this fits:

------------
    Maurice said:
    @scott One of the funniest comedy routines I've seen in a long time.

Happy to provide. Jim Gaffigan is hysterical.