Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Will Primecap Fund managers increase their non-US investments?

rmt
edited May 2015 in Fund Discussions
I have read a lot about Primecap management and their GARP style of investing. Liked their funds and have POAGX in my Taxable and Roth. They already invest about 12% in non-US stocks.I would certainly invest if they start a global version of their VPMCX fund.They could easily apply their current process on the developed world stocks. This way we could pair their GARP styled global fund with value funds like ARTGX. Thoughts?
Hope Mr.Snowball will be able to get some feedback from Primecap

Comments

• I'll ask!

David
  • rmt
    edited May 2015
    Thanks David. I would also like to know your thoughts on that
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    rmt,

Over the last 8 years anchoring POAGX with funds like WHOSX and PONDX would have smoothed out a portfolio's volatility. Not sure if these two funds will serve a similar purpose in a raising rate environment, but they should out perform when markets temporarily correct for other reasons.

Here's the two portfolios suggestions:

And here's the performance over the last 8 years:

Also, NSEIX seems like a pretty good US-centrric value companion to POAGX "growthiness", though I would argue selecting a set of "growth stocks at the right price" is another value metric in my book.

I like your idea of a Primecap global growth fund.

MDISX has performed well globally (world allocation fund).

Love to hear from others in this space.
  • Thanks bee. Hope David Snowball got a chance to talk to Primecap team.
  • David_Snowball,
    Any update from Primecap team?
    Thanks
  • Any updates David_Snowball?
    Thanks
    rmt
  • @rmt & @bee:

In the "growthy" world stock space, you may want to consider the LC/MC THOIX ($100K min Wellstrade retirement, $500 min Fidelity retirement + TF) and the MC/SC DGSCX (no minimum TDA retirement + TF, $500 min Fidelity retirement + TF).

Kevin
  • Hi David,
    Any updates from Primecap team?
    Thanks
  • Hi David,

Any updates since your post on May 1?

Mona
  • @Mona: As of 9/30/15 POAGX held 11.53% of it's portfolio in non-U.S. Stocks.
    Regards,
    Ted