Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

For you younger people hoping to retire comfortably - give up the dream.

2»

Comments

• Mark said:

Dex you said "For you younger people hoping to retire comfortably - give up the dream." I'm saying that people will find a way. It may not be your way or my way but they will find a way.

I think you mean "Love Will Find a Way" by Yes in 1987.

• I remember the song with the same name by Pablo Cruise.
  • I remember the song with the same name by Pablo Cruise.

I like it.

• There are two things that a lot of people can do to help their budget and their health. Stop smoking for one. That's a lot of money literally going up in smoke. Your body will thank you. Second, if you are a moderate to heavy drinker, stop or cut back. That is a lot of money being pissed away. Your body will thank you again.

Those two habits are big deficits on a budget. A lot of people do both.
  • edited April 2015
    @ Dex. Thanks. Sounds like you're far along as planning goes. But, we may have helped others not used to operating on a budget. Good job & good luck.
  • Second, if you are a moderate to heavy drinker, stop or cut back. That is a lot of money being pissed away. Your body will thank you again.

Thank God I'm only a light drinker ...

• edited April 2015
    Late to the party, I took this to be about running a budget. (And I wondered why an operating budget would include a separate area for wine.)

I share the broader concerns Dex and others have expressed about disappearing pensions, low wages, threats to SS, etc. There's no easy answer to those complex social/political issues and I doubt we would be able to agree at much of a consensus on them here anyway.

But I do think at the individual level it begins with good financial management skills. Work on those first. Part of the answer that evolves may be acquiring additional skills, finding additional sources of income, or growing the assets one already possesses. Another part of the equation is to balance out one's expectations and life style with their financial means. We're still a very affluent country compared with much of the world.

• All the world’s a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
    Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
    In fair round belly with good capon lined,
    With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws and modern instances;
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
  • The normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster and its possible effects. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations.
  • We in the USA have lived a charmed life. The middle class we have in our minds is an animality in the world. Look towards Greece/Europe for the next step in our future.
  • hank said:

(And I wondered why an operating budget would include a separate area for wine.)

In vino veritas
  • edited April 2015