Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited April 2015
    CNBC:

Bernanke chose Citadel because he is "sensitive to concerns over the revolving door between Wall Street and Washington." Jack Welch laughed after that was read.

I had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right because as much as I've had issues with what Bernanke has done, I couldn't believe someone could be that completely clueless as to how that statement would be received. "Sensitive to concerns over the revolving door between Wall Street and Washington" does not mean becoming an advisor to one of the largest hedge funds in the United States...
  • edited April 2015
    A quote from the article and hopefully the words are exact and correct; otherwise could be understood improperly:

"Bernanke told The Times that he was sensitive to the public's anxieties about the "revolving door" between Wall Street and Washington and chose to go to Citadel, in part, because it "is not regulated by the Federal Reserve and I won't be doing lobbying of any sort."

In the above, is the critical word: "was" I do believe this is a past tense usage, eh?

Will clarify with our daughter, who is more gifted in the grammar department.

Or that someone may send the question to Mr. Bernanke, at his blog.

Well, anyway; he will be able to now qualify for a home loan. I recall he stated there was a problem with this a year or so ago. :)
  • edited April 2015
    ""Bernanke told The Times that he was sensitive to the public's anxieties about the "revolving door" between Wall Street and Washington and chose to go to Citadel, in part, because it "is not regulated by the Federal Reserve and I won't be doing lobbying of any sort.""

Who cares? It's still Wall Street and it's still this unbelievably consistent line of various officials leaving government to advise Wall Street - in this case, one of (if not the largest) hedge funds in the US.

The idea that it is okay because it's not regulated by the Fed is complete and utter nonsense.

It's all just another form of:
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/regulatory-capture.asp
  • You see? My lack of response indicates tepid agreement, or at least "no challenge". I'd be surprised if others don't react (ie: don't comment) in pretty much the same way.
  • Old_Joe said:

You see? My lack of response indicates tepid agreement, or at least "no challenge". I'd be surprised if others don't react (ie: don't comment) in pretty much the same way.

• @MFO Members: Barry Ritholtz thinks he should pace himself !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2015/04/dear-ben-better-pace-yourself/print/
  • edited April 2015
    Wow.

I expected something like GoldmanSachs, MorganStanley...

But no...life with Ken Griffin.

Well, he is one of richest men in US and appears to be pretty much self made. He certainly has a vested interest in regulatory issues, which Mr. Bernanke can help with...even if he is not doing lobbying directly.

c
  • I really hope Bernanke puts his entire net worth into this fund.
    Then I hope it goes Bankrupt. And of course no one bails it out.

And who am I kidding?
  • So figures. I'm pretty sure that Citadel is the hedge fund with which the Fed Reserve has had a particularly cozy relationship for some time; I think I read recently that the FR has acknowledged they used Citadel for "data collection" and "consultation." [perhaps I should have stated "with whom," since SCOTUS probably grants legal person-hood to hedge funds as well... though it takes a brilliant mind to get there]
    @VintageFreak Doesn't Texas have leash laws for that kind of imagination?
  • edited April 2015
    heezsafe, i guess I'm not smart enough to understand what you are saying, or if it was joke, or if it was a jibe, or whatever. I also don't know whether you are talking about my imagination or Bernanke's. It maybe because I was not born Texan. I am here only because so was and is the love of my life.

All I know is Bernanke and his ilk are serving the objectivists-pretending-to-be-capitalists, and who if allowed to run unchecked will destroy this country.
  • Seems to me like a mild joke/complement re your imagination, and the general (dare I say it?) political climate in Texas. You're both "coming from the same place", though, and it isn't Texas.