Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Merriman: When Going All-In On Small-Cap Value Mght Be A Winner

FYI: My recent articles on performance generated considerable reader feedback, with lots of people wanting help with applying the facts to their portfolios.
Below, I'll answer four questions that came up.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/when-going-all-in-on-small-cap-value-might-be-a-winner-2015-03-25/print

Comments

• This is worth reading. At the end of the article, the author recommends 3 small-cap value ETFs: VTWV, IJS, or SLYV, the choice depending on whether one is a Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab customer. Since I am the latter, I quickly compared SLYV to the other two. One difference really stands out; SLYV distributed north of 7% of NAV in income, STCG and LTCG in 2014, while VTWV and IJS have never paid capital gains. Turnover ratios at the three funds range from 36-41%, but SLYV would seem to be a bad choice in a taxable account. I don't understand how an index fund could generate STCG on the order of $3.32 last year alone. That looks like active management.