Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So, which sectors is the big money going to stay with and which to sell away for the quick $?

Money remains cheap; so one may expect the equity train to wonderland to keep moving along the track, eh.

Is the energy/crude price upward price swing for real? Making with the happy today for energy funds.......

Just wondering if ya had $50k to throw against a sector on Thursday; where might that travel?

Will continue to watch Europe and the Euro for perhaps more money moving there, Japan and China area, too; energy/crude for an attempt at a positive trend and to monitor healthcare for "too hot to handle".:)

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Healthcare has had a good run, but I still think some of the large biotechs are not richly valued (Gilead in particular, trading at a 9.5 forward p/e.) Healthcare continues to do well, I think and has multiple tailwinds. Energy isn't going anywhere anytime soon and yesterday was a bounce. However, if you have a longer-term time horizon, continue to look to add, especially if WTI falls under $40.

Tech I don't really care about all that much and I still have concerns that in some cases, countries will lessen or drop use of some US tech company product because of security concerns and you will see more and more use of local tech companies by foreign nations.

Banks will waiver if interest rates are not going higher as quickly as people thought. REITs and Utilities will likely catch a bid again if it is "rates lower for longer." However, I would be very cautious with yield plays as I still see a lot of major REITs that I think are overvalued or at least very richly valued here. Japan has terrible fundamentals unfortunately and massive QE doesn't change the underlying problems.

I still like Asia, I'm unfortunately souring on Latin America. European QE doesn't make me want to run to Europe.

Random bad chart:
    Chart of Arcos Dorados (McDonalds Latin America) since IPO:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=ARCO+Interactive#{"range":"max","scale":"linear","comparisons":{"^GSPC":{"color":"#cc0000","weight":1}}}

The other chart that I wish I remember where I saw it a couple of days ago was the Brazilian Bovespa in dollar terms, which is down significantly in the last few years. Just horrible.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Catch 22,

For me, currently my three overweights, major sectors, within the S&P 500 Index, are Financials, Technology and Healthcare. In addition, I think some of the emerging markets look attractive along with Greater Europe and I am seeing some money move to Japan as well.

Within my own portfolio I strive to carry at least a nine percent weighting in the major sectors and at least a five percent weighting in the minor sectors for all the broad sectors of the S&P 500 Index. I look at emerging markets as a minor sector and I am neutral there at about a five percent weighting. In Greater Europe, I am carrying about a twenty percent weighting.

A "come line" bet for me is in the energy and materials sectors where I have been buying, of late, as I believe they are oversold.

So, I guess ... with this ... Old_Skeet is good to go.
  • If I had $50K to throw at anything it would be on a trip to explore Son Doong cave in Vietnam. Priceless!
  • edited March 2015
    OK,pleading ignorance here... off to DuckDuckGo & Wickipedia! :)

I'm back. WOW!!
  • edited March 2015
    Various video clips of the cave.......

Still images and video choices, the cave

A beautiful place, indeed.

So, @Mark ; you know that I must ask why this location.

Likely we all have a special place to visit or a re-do. If I had my time machine in working order, I would re-do Taiwan and Morocco.

Okay, I'll just throw the $50K at a 3x bio etf or something similar. Go for the gold, so to speak, eh? :)
  • edited March 2015
    Catch - the pictures tell the story better than any words I could say and I would love to see and hike the country w/o looking through the scope of my M-16 or twin 50-cal's. Besides I only rode rivers before, time to dock the boat. If I was going to return to previous places it would be Australia/New Zealand or the Japanese countryside in a heartbeat.

As for investing, a health/bio ETF would be my choice. I use HQL a CEF.