Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

YouTube Videos

TedTed
edited February 2015 in Technical Questions
What's the recent problem with linking video's to the discussion board ? You get error message.
Regards,
Ted
Example:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is the problem still occurring?

@Ted - The video linked here seems to be displaying just fine. I'll run a few tests to see if I can reproduce an error.
  • @chip Thanks,: Everything is Ok in Firefox, the problem is in IE. I'm going to uninstall Abobe Flash Player and reinstall it to see if that works.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2015
    Yep - same thing with the "Call Me Ray" video I linked couple days ago from UTube. (Thread: The Paradox of Choice) Worked first day, but wasn't working last evening or this morning. So, I linked a replacement from another source that isn't as good. (But the replacement functions.)

IPad running IOS 8.0

Thanks for looking into this Chip.
  • edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm using Firefox and the vids all play fine, but as I noted in a follow-up to that fabulous cajun fiddle job by Doug Kershaw for Mardi Gras, I have to press the "go" button TWICE. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the source of the problem is connected to Microsoft's Internet Explorer. ;)
  • (It's time again for this, with Spring Training underway. The snow berms here along the tree belt are 7 feet tall. We'll dip below zero again tomorrow night. It's completely beyond what can be endured. Totally, completely beyond description, anymore. Just get me the hell outa here. I spit in the face of the cold and the snow with this classic item you'll all enjoy:)
  • edited February 2015
    Chip- I'm getting the same error described by others. The error message comes up so quickly that there isn't time to press anything twice. You may remember that I'm using a bastard version of Firefox, optimized for older Mac operating systems. It was working fine until last week. While this specific browser is for older Mac OS, the browser itself is quite current- just a few months old, in fact, as the browser geniuses make a point of keeping up with current internet technology to the extent possible.

Edit- This browser version does not support Flash, and hasn't for at least a couple of years. I am under the impression that Firefox has a similar limitation.

Additional info (1): I pressed the red "go "arrow in the middle of the screen once, and get a second window which is similar but not identical to the first. The second window has, in the upper left corner, a title, which in this case says "Abbott & Costello Who's On First". I tried clicking on that just for the hell of it and my browser then opened a new tab for the "YouTube" site, where the video played just fine.

Additional info (2): Tried same thing with the "What is a Mutual Fund" video above, with same results: the browser opened a new tab for the "YouTube" site, where the video played just fine.

Additional info (3): With my browser, at least, the process has always been as described above: pressing the red "go "arrow in the middle of the screen once, and a second window which is very similar but not identical appears. Until lat week, pressing the "go" arrow in that second window caused the video to play. I'm guessing that this two-window situation is what Crash is referring to when he says that he has to "press the "go" button TWICE."

So all of this suggests that the browsers are not the issue, but rather some change at YouTube with respect to embedding their videos in a foreign site.

OJ
  • Is there a possibility that YouTube's recent switch to HTML5 could be the source of the problem here?
  • Hey John- Wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • TedTed
    edited February 2015
    @ MFO Members: In IE try this: Click on arrow center of the video once, then move mouse to upper left of video and click on video title once. It worked for me.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Maurice: Did you read John Chisum message about YouTube switching to HTML5.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2015
    As I tried to suggest above (evidently unsuccessfully) clicking on the "GO" button on the first embedded video window brings up a second window which, when the "GO" button is pressed again, apparently attempts to invoke flash technology. If your browser does not support flash, game over.

When that second window appears, instead of clicking on the "Go" button, click on the video title which appears in the upper left-hand corner. That should open a new tab or window for you, depending upon your browser settings, and allow the video to be viewed there, presumably using HTML5.

A lot of guesswork on this, but it's the best that I can come up with at this point.
  • I can only replicate this problem in IE, but even then I have to click the play button twice, the error flashes briefly on the screen, and the video plays.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/13/fix-error-occurred-please-try-later-youtube-error/
    I'm not sure if this might help, but it certainly can't hurt. At the very least, you can see which video technologies your current browser supports.
  • edited February 2015
    @Chip: Hi Chip- can you please clarify the "click the play button twice" statement? Do you click it once, then get a second screen with all of the player controls and so forth, and then click that play button, or do you mean that literally, you click the original "one and only" play button twice?

By the way- when I right-click on the "first" video screen there is no player info; if I press the "Play" button the second video window with the player controls appears, and if I right-click on that window the indication is made that HTML5 will be used. If I then press the "Play" button again, the error message occurs; if I click on the video title in the upper left corner a new browser tab opens, goes to youtube.com/watch and the video plays.
  • edited February 2015
    In Firefox, they play for me when I literally hit the same "go" button twice. Don't know why 2 times is the charm. I don't get a new, second window or anything. I just click the very same "go" button in the center of the video screen twice. But I'm in Firefox. Might not be helpful to you. I gave up on IE about three lifetimes ago. ....EDIT: I just tried, again. I click on the desired vid from an offered menu. Boom. It's there, and playing for me. No need for ANY "go" button.
  • edited February 2015
    Well, somethings sure has changed. The "first" video screen, (as those above) has, as before, no player control buttons. Clicking on the "go" button in that window brings up a second, almost identical window, with all of the various player controls. Clicking on the "go" button in that window now causes the video to play. In other words, it now operates as it used to before the recent problems started.

This is in the very latest (v31.5) of the Firefox variant specifically optimized for G5 model Macs using OS 10.4. (This variant is called "TenFour Fox.)

Edit/Add: That's a great pic, @Maurice. It's exactly as I imagined you!! :-)
  • edited February 2015
    Thx for the nice videos