Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Global Real Estate Fund Suggestions

I would like help choosing a global real estate fund. Schwab is touting its new SFREX, Fundamental Global Real Estate Index Fund. As it is based on a Russell fundamental index, I thought I could find some performance figures on that index, but all I can find are its composition, country allocation, and raison d‘être. Were I to buy an OEF GRE fund, it would have to be NTF at Schwab or TDAmeritrade, but I would also consider an ETF or CEF. Here’s a link to the Schwab fund and its rationale:

http://content.schwab.com/web/retail/public/globalrealestate/

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I'll leave it to others to suggest global RE mutual funds, but I'll say that any investment in RE should be DCA, as I think RE names have run up significantly with people globally desperate for yield. I really like RE, but find most of the names I look at unappealing or very unappealing at these levels. I expect there will likely be a fallout in REITs at some point when someone hints at rate increases (similar to some degree to the REIT obliteration during the "taper tantrum" a year or two ago.)

I continue to own a number of individual RE names.

Edited to add: and just as I write this, CNBC pimping Pimco's ultra-volatile (although admittedly successful - especially when RE is doing well, horrendous when it's not) Real Estate Real Return fund.

• @BenWP: U.S. News & World Report ranking of Global Real Estate Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/global-real-estate
  • @BenWP

In addition to Ted's nice list, is this category listing from M*. You may sort the year returns with clicking onto the year at the column top.
    Also, I don't think you can buy the DFA funds without a separate account with them; or via an advisor.

Catch
  • I have held ARYVX since inception. It has been for the most part a steady earner. Right now it is about 4% of my portfolio. I agree with @scott, a DCA plan would be better here.
  • I hold TVRVX, which was discussed in this month's commentary, and I've been happy for the last few years. I agree with others on the DCA plan.
  • Russell Fundamental Global Select Real Estate Index
    TOTAL RETURNS AS OF FEBRUARY 03, 2015
    DAILY MTD YTD 1YR 3YR 5YR 10YR
    0.58 0.82 4.96 23.97 15.71 15.57 10.34
    http://www.russell.com/indexes/americas/indexes/fact-sheet.page?ic=D54907
  • Thanks for steering me to the information I could not find on M* or at the Russell site. I appreciate it.