Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Get your "buy List" out

Some good prices showing up, one more day of this downturn... be time for IRA buying....been stuck with high prices

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Meh. I think there's further downside. Earnings have not been very good in a number of instances and MSFT down 9.25% still doesn't look that appealing in terms of valuation. Am I looking to buy? Yes, but I think I'll get a better pitch than today. If Apple disappoints later, may get ugly tomorrow.
  • edited January 2015
    I am wondering if today is going to be a mini version of 10/15/14. Regardless, slowly building a position in corporate junk funds and even more slowly in diversified emerging markets funds while slowly exiting some of the junk munis. While *slowly* is the key word here ready to ramp up quickly in the junk corporates if price cooperates.
  • @Scott - I would love to buy more Apple if it gets creamed. Despite the current state of the markets at 12:45 EST I'm up on the day.
  • Mark said:

@Scott - I would love to buy more Apple if it gets creamed. Despite the current state of the markets at 12:45 EST I'm up on the day.

I'll be looking at Apple when earnings are announced, as well. I'm certainly not up on the day, but not doing that bad, considering.

• re Apple- what entry point would you guys consider reasonable? (We don't own any directly- just through fund exposures.)
  • edited January 2015
    Personally, I'd be interested around 5%+ lower than here. If it drops 1-2% I'm not interested. I suppose my "optimal" scenario is good numbers but low-ball on guidance and the stock drops.

More specifically, I'd like to see $105-106 or lower. Given the way the market is lurching lower towards the close, perhaps that's a sign I may get my wish.
  • Thanks much. Nice to talk with you again.
  • edited January 2015
    Guess I won't get the chance to add to AAPL. Oh well lol. Quite the quarter.
  • Volatility is a fact of life in stock investing....take advantage....shopping lists required
  • edited January 2015
    @Scott - so tell me how a company reports blowout results yet ends up down 3.5% and is moved over to the blue light aisle. And like you, guess I should have been there but the beach was calling my name. I'll be looking for more punishment at tomorrows open.
  • edited January 2015
    Mark said:

@Scott - so tell me how a company reports blowout results yet ends up down 3.5% and is moved over to the blue light aisle. And like you, guess I should have been there but the beach was calling my name. I'll be looking for more punishment at tomorrows open.

I think people really expected another instance of "strong dollar hurt" and were really selling it into the close.

I have a small position in it already, thought about adding to it (not much, it would remain a small position) if earnings disappointed, but oh well. That was an insane quarter, 74M iPhones sold.

You'll probably see AAPL upgrades left and right and now $120 looks very possible very quickly.

Happy about that and happy about CNI beating and raising div 25%.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi all,

As part of my investment planning I have a buy list on hand just in case a good dip (up to five percent decline) in the market becomes a pullback (a decline form five to ten percent). This would put the S&P 500 Index around 1990 for me to give consideration to any serious buying although I have been buying, a little, around the edges in certain assets classes (emerging markets, precious metals, commodities, plus a little thrown towards Europe).

As of my last Instant Xray analysis my asset allocation bubbles (rounded) at about 20% cash, 30% domestic equity, 20% foreign equity, 20% income, and 10% other.

As of yesterday evening, I was up 1.2% year-to-date while the Lipper Balanced Index was up 0.7%. Seems my portfolio's positioning of late is paying off.

I wish all … “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet
  • For real, 25%? Gotta love that. Still doesn't yield enough for my purposes but I will be watching it if Mr. Price decides to give us a spanking down the line.