Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Please Advise Me about Turbo Tax changes - Desktop/CD - NOT DOWNLOAD

I've been using Turbo Tax Deluxe Desktop/CD - NOT DOWNLOAD. I've read that they made some changes to the schedule D - stock, bond, etc capital gains & loss. I'm not a small business.
What change did they make? Can I still use it and file electronically as I did in the past? I've read what I could on line and I don't understand it.

If, I can't do that, what software would you recommend. I would want one that could import the prior year info and do state taxes.
Thanks

Comments

• I've done more research and decided that Turbo Tax is no longer for me.
    http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150125/FREE/150129944/turbotax-raises-prices-and-the-tax-prep-software-battle-is-on

How do people like Tax Act?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

Dex in case you haven't noticed the other thread. Good info available on it.

Thanks, I read that thread. But, I didn't understand the change. I got the impression the change was for small businesses. Then I thought there was a sched. D but you couldn't e-file it.

I think the sched D has been deleted from the Deluxe and you have to buy the Premier to get it.

So, I think I'm going to use H&R.

• Not clear to me what you mean by 'not download'; there is online version and there is CD/download, or so I believe, as in the past.
    If I got the latest narrative right, and I may not have, they did not include D in the CD/download at one price point, and you had to go up to the next point.
    But they walked that back with a rebate and apology, recognizing they had stepped in it.

I use online only and pricing is set upon filing or when you start to use D, IIRC. It jumped up a few years ago, and I dislike paying more, but it is so useful, since it does accurate auto-import from Fido and Merrill, and the others do not do that.

If you do not need auto-import, then sure, switch, and TaxAct sure is getting a lot of attention.
  • Schedules C, D, E & F are no longer included in the TT Deluxe version. A TT user must now purchase the Premier version to get those schedules.
  • @Dex & MFO Members FYI:
    Regards,
    Ted
    The Cheapest Tax Prep Software for 2015 (Hint: It's Not TurboTax)
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2015-01-23/the-cheapest-tax-prep-software-for-2015-hint-it-s-not-turbotax-
  • Here's the report on TT's apology and rebate.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2015/01/22/turbotax-users-get-an-apology-and-25-each/

They lost me as a customer.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Mark said:

Schedules C, D, E & F are no longer included in the TT Deluxe version. A TT user must now purchase the Premier version to get those schedules.

According to Forbes, Premier isn't high enough if you're filing Schedule C (sole proprietorship) or F (farm). For that, you'll have to step all the way up to TurboTax Home and Business. The $25 "gift" from Intuit won't make up that big a jump in cost.

• You know, it's stuff exactly like this that doesn't show up in the phony "inflation" figures that "they" try to shove down our throats. The package gets smaller, the less expensive version disappears...

The only real recent decrease in prices of stuff that we all have to buy is gasoline, and that's just a temporary fluke to cripple US oil production so as to drive the prices back up in the long run.
  • @msf - looks like you're right. I apologize for my mistake. I'll have to check my Premier version when I get home. I bought it at Costco and the display there seemed to indicate that Schedule C was present.
  • @Mark - no need to apologize - I'm not sure myself what's right; Intuit has done a poor job communicating. People should just be aware that regardless of what they get, they could still have to upgrade (even if they're careful).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.