Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Golly Gee....sure am tempted to throw more money at U.S. real estate funds

edited January 2015 in Fund Discussions
'Course, 2013 wasn't great, but 2014 was and continues into 2015..........unless there will be another rotation of 1 year great, next year sell......... :)

New money would be in the form of one big bite to the tune of at least 5% of our portfolio total.

Have not run M*, but a best guess is that we have about 2% of the portfolio in R.E. from mixes within existing equity funds; and that we currently hold a direct 5% position in R.E. via FRIFX. The consideration to add to this area is for more exposure that is not bond related, as is, with about 50% of FRIFX.

Are ya buying or selling the U.S. real estate area???

M* real estate funds list

Lastly, perhaps should just sell about 1/2 of the portfolio and place into a bond eft and wait to dive face first into an energy etf after the flooding is finished.......:)

Thanks and take care,
Catch

Comments

• I have 4% in ARYVX. It just keeps churning upwards. Up 3.38% YTD. It is global though.

Another thread had the Rothschild allocation mentioned. Securities, real estate, and fine art. I would certainly consider increasing your real estate holdings.
  • @catch22: " M* real estate funds list" You forgot one, the Gomer Pyle Real Estate Fund, with Golly Gee as the number one holding.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • beebee
    edited January 2015
    Over the weekend I compiled a few funds that I hope will be complimentary to my equity holdings. Real Estate and commodities were on my list along with a variety of bond funds (LT / ST treasuries, TIPS, and Multi-sector funds). I also wanted to consider some equity sector funds and here I'm considering Utilities, Industrials, Japan, India, and Transportation to perform well this year.

With this, here's are some choices that have outperformed in there respective category over 1,3 and 5 years. They have relatively low ERs and are often available with no transaction fees.

RE - RRREX,
    Utilities - GASFX, TOLSX, GLFOX
    Commodities - SKSRX, PCRDX
    Income - PONDX, FAGIX
    TIPS - TIPSX
    Japan - HJPNX
    India - MINDX
    Industrials - FSRFX
    LT Treasuries - WHOSX
    ST Treasuries - FMEQX
  • Thanks for the list bee!

Catch - I bought into FRESX last summer and have been adding ever since, including today. FRESX is about 6% of my portfolio and I'll leave it at that.
  • Catch, I recently bought SCHH, Schwab US REIT ETF. I like the look of its chart since last October and should have gotten in sooner.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm not buying as I think REITs are over (or at least richly) valued here. If you want to start a position, I'd really average in over a longer period. Energy is certainly a cheaper option, but in terms of buying what has done well, that is real estate. One of my largest positions is a REIT but I wouldn't add to it and I maybe would have even turned off DRIP for the latest dividend if I'd thought about it in time.

I have added to Howard Hughes (HHC), but that isn't technically a REIT and has been hit due to exposure to energy. Given the fairly smallish float and volatility, not something I'd recommend to anyone remotely conservative.

It's not that I'm bearish on REITs, mind you - the ones I own are long-term holdings and I'm happy with them. I also strongly believe in real assets. It's just that they had a significant run last year.

Keep in mind REITs did not have a great 2013. Wasn't that the year of taper tantrum? I worry a tad that that may happen again (and it may be a buying opportunity as that period was.)
  • @bee
    Thank you again for your time and efforts to help keep us thinking along the investment paths.
    Catch
  • RRREX and SCHH have nearly identical charts/returns since SCHH's inception. Naturally, SCHH has *much* lower expenses. It also has a higher yield.

A more conservative play might be FRIFX, a real estate income fund.

C22: are you thinking of this as a medium term trade or a long term holding?