Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Deflation - there I said it ...

Comments

• Where is East Asia ?, opposite of west asia..how are they doing?
  • edited November 2014
    That remark is ignorant, deliberately offensive, or both.
  • edited November 2014
    Danged if I can figure the point of the post. Writer sounds more than a little amped-up. Deflation happens. Yes. What follows deflation? Inflation. Paper money is just too damned convenient for deflation to last very long - painful though it may be when it occurs.

My guess is the U.S. will not see a protracted period of deflation. But we got too many "wackos" with substantial political influence to rule it out completely.
  • Ok where is it? call me ignorant, but I don't care, won't effect my investing one penny!
    What about your concern (investing), too Old Joe?
  • Did you mean "effect" or "affect"?
  • Don't know, still trying to figure out where the hell E. Asia is and what the hell it has to do with investing? Maybe DEX can help?
  • edited November 2014
    LOL - "Effect" can be a verb and might fit here. My guess is TB meant "affect" as you infer. Honestly, I didn't see TB's reply to Dex as offensive. Silly yes. But not offensive.
  • Hank you have insight beyond old (joe) people!
  • I've been told there is formaldehyde in Bud Light. Now I believe it.
  • I don't know what's is in bud light but 100million people in the U.S. love it!
  • I repeat: His remark is ignorant, deliberately offensive, or both. Ignorant if in fact he really has no idea where East Asia is. If he does know where it is, then his remark was meant to disparage and belittle Dex's contribution, as to suggest that Dex, and by extension other MFO members, have no need to consider economic factors in Asia. Since many MFO members do in fact have significant interest and investment in Asia, his remark is more than "silly": it is offensive, insulting, and in my opinion, deliberately so.
  • His last post on the Duracell thread is offensive.
  • Yes, also.
  • edited November 2014
    Agree with OJ and John. Plus, it's my thread #!**##@!*
  • edited November 2014
    Old_Joe said:

Since many MFO members do in fact have significant interest and investment in Asia, his remark is more than "silly": it is offensive, insulting, and in my opinion, deliberately so.

His last post on the Duracell thread is offensive.

I'm thinking it's deliberate to get a reaction, which it's certainly getting. It's offensive yes, but I think the intent (and maybe I'm wrong) is finding humor in the reaction/upset (see also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll.)

It seemed to start after the whole "80 words or less" (or whatever it was) argument in another thread, which I thought wasn't serious but then turned into a whole debate on the downturn of intelligence in society.

Not trying to justify anything, just trying to provide something of an analysis after observing the discussions...

• I thought it was because I (and others) write longer posts, trying to add explanations to our pithy remarks. 19 words, 110 chars.

P.S. Since the original article included India and excluded Japan, "where's E. Asia" seemed like a legit question, regardless of TB's intent.
  • Sorry guys, WTF are we talking about ?!?!?!?! This is public forum and I have long given up and take what I get. Ignorance is bliss and in the eye of the beholder. Offensiveness...oh well.
  • Dex
    edited November 2014
    Tampabay said:

Don't know, still trying to figure out where the hell E. Asia is and what the hell it has to do with investing? Maybe DEX can help?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/East+Asia+Hotel/@22.196464,113.537298,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa89135791d94bab3

You might never leave.