Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Those invested in FAIRX might want to read this.

Worried about the concentrated focus the fund has in a few stocks? This news is very pertinent.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL3N0SF46520141020?irpc=932

Comments

• I understand Berkowitz' position related to the value of Sears' properties (land and other), but I've always thought the public would never look at Sears that way.
  • The stock is up 24% this PM.
  • And with that action today, SHLD becomes the leader of the FAIRX portfolio YTD at +8.6%.
  • edited October 2014
    PRESSmUP said:

And with that action today, SHLD becomes the leader of the FAIRX portfolio YTD at +8.6%.

I believe you got this figure from M* and their "Holdings" tab.
    However, I don't believe M* is correct when they list SHLD as being +8.6% YTD.
    SHLD closed on 12/31/2013 at $49.04, and opened 1/2/14 at $49.05
    Today it closed at $34.96
    However, they must have had some dividend or split, as Yahoo Finance lists the "adjusted close" (adjusted for dividends and splits) on 12/31/13 as $39.31/share

So the "adjusted close" went from $39.31 to today's close of $34.96
    Looks like an 11.07% loss YTD

Looking at it another way, based on what M* said about SHLD YTD data after Friday's close [down 28.5% YTD per M*], then factoring in today's change, it looks like a 12% loss YTD.

So either -11.07% YTD if you trust Yahoo Finance adjusted closing price data, or -12% YTD if you trust M*'s YTD data from Friday........but M* has this incorrect on their "holdings" tab of FAIRX regarding SHLD YTD performance

• edited October 2014
    Screenshot of FAIRX holdings, showing the +8.7% figure, error by M*

I just called M* and let them know about the data error. I suspect they will have this corrected soon.

Regarding the big difference between the closing price of SHLD on 12/31/13 and 1/2/14, and the "adjusted closing price" shown in Yahoo Finance. I believe that may have had to do with spinning off Lands' End stock.
  • How long can this self-canabalizing effort go on? Apparently the first loan was not enough? That was for purchasing product for the Christmas season which is late in the game for a retail store. Perhaps vendors wanted more visibility beyond Christmas?

After all this effort to fund the company so they can stock up, what if the shoppers avoid Sears?