Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Alternative Mutual Funds: Are They Worth It ?

FYI: Liquid alternative mutual funds represent one of the fastest growing asset classes around, and many investment experts say they can make a useful addition to your portfolio.

The "alternative" part of the funds' name reflects their difference from standard long-only stock, bond and commodity funds. In that sense, they are like hedge funds.

But the "liquid" part sets them apart from hedge funds. Unlike hedge funds, liquid alternative funds can be sold on a daily basis, just like other mutual funds.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/investing/are-liquid-alternative-mutual-funds-worth-it.aspx?ic_id=Top_Financial News Center_link_4

Comments

• If 20% of actively managed funds at most beat their index at any time, we should keep our expectation in check. 20% of Alternative mutual funds will be worth it.
  • @VintageFreak
    Hey, VF, that big, thoughtful, eclectic lists of alt funds you posted recently in a thread--- did you get those punched into a separate watch list yet? If so, I've got a feelin' if you keep checking it once, and then checking it twice, that by Xmas (or even sooner) you may have a preliminary data report for us on who is downright naughty and who could be nice.
  • edited October 2014
    Frankly i am not being too scientific about it. First and foremost i wnant to look at the 5 star ls funds who are really nothing but long vehicles and with just 60 exposure are outperforming(sic) their brethren which are true long short funds. You dont need such funds.

Right now jazzx and pmhdx seem like obvious imposters.

And by the way my eclectic list of funds is not the ls list. It is other list of funds to buy using my when vs what mantra
  • Say what?
  • Old_Joe said:

Say what?

No as I said, say WHEN:-)