Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Do You Send A Private Message on MFO

At least two MFOers have wondered how to send a Private Message to another MFO member.

When you click on a person's name, you can send a message, but apparently that message can be read by all.

Appreciate some information on the Private Message capabilities of MFO

Comments

• Where do you read the private messages? That's news to me.
  • I thought that msg goes to the persons email address but I could be wrong.
  • MikeM said:

I thought that msg goes to the persons email address but I could be wrong.

@JohnChisum, @MikeM, please see below. When you click on a person's name to send them a "Private Message", you get taken to a rectangular box where you can send that message. But apparently it is not private. One MFOer recently told me he could read all the PM's that had been sent to me

@MikeM, it would be great if it did go to a person's email address.

• Where do you read the private messages? That's news to me.

If you click on a person's name to send the "PM"......
    Take a look, and you can read the other PMs that have been sent to the person.

Someone just sent me one, and didn't like the fact that it was not private, which is understandable.

I wonder if the website has the capability to do as MikeM alluded to......sending the PM to the person's email
  • I checked my profile and there is nothing there. Actually it says "nothing happening here." It I have sent and received PMs. On the other hand I did see messages on others profiles. It appears to be random.
  • Now if you click on "Edit Profile" there is a box if you want others to see your email. Mine is not checked. Perhaps that is the issue?
  • Now if you click on "Edit Profile" there is a box if you want others to see your email. Mine is not checked. Perhaps that is the issue?

Mine is not checked either, but the person who sent me the PM said he could read the other PMs that had been sent to me.
  • edited August 2014
    sharing a comment on another person's activity wall is public

Sending a message to someone's inbox is considered private

If its something that relates to account numbers or passwords, I wouldn't send it or post it, since it is stored in the database.

• Thanks Accipiter.

It should be clear so people have comfort that their messages are or are not private. It's bothersome to know others can read your stuff.
  • edited August 2014

It's probably in oj's excellent documentation.
  • I do see that. It wasn't clear before. People click on a name to send a pm and a box pops up. The assumption is that's the place to write the pm. But that is not the case.
  • edited August 2014
    another way to send a message is click on inbox on the horizontal menu.

then click new message.
    then type the name of the person you want to send it to.

it auto-fills suggested names.
  • That seems easier to use, as long as it is private.
  • I hope others read this thread. A lot of other members are under the same thinking. I checked a few others and it's obvious they felt the same.
  • I hope others read this thread. A lot of other members are under the same thinking. I checked a few others and it's obvious they felt the same.

@JohnChisum, see if you received the PM I just sent you.
    I think you have to click your Inbox to see it
  • @chip I added a message to the profile page, since users were confused.

change it or delete if you like.
  • Unfortunately, it's really bad UI if you need to read the documentation in order to use the private messaging function. I've used messaging on other forums and the implementation is as lot clearer. Having an "Add Comment" box on another member's profile page makes no sense to me - what are you commenting on? Is there any way to modify this page so it's clear the "Message" button allows you to send a PM?
  • edited August 2014
    > it's really bad UI if you need to read the documentation in order to use the private messaging function.

Perhaps, but ....
    I highly suggest you read the documentation, if you want to get the most out of the forum. Despite you wanting everything to be intuitive. The software is what is, and the documentation is there for you. While it may not be an excuse for "bad UI", you still have an option, and that is your choice, read the docs, or don't.

Here they are: on page 23.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MFO-UG-v6-09-07-12.pdf

This is the first time anyone reported the issue. The minute I used the software, it was obvious to me, consequently, it wasn't obvious to me it wasn't obvious to you. So unless there is a squeaky wheel like rjb112, not much can be done, since most people are not mind readers. And I certainly am not good at mind-reading or forseeing which way the market will go.

As I said, I added a message, if it wasn't obvious, since it appears it wasn't obvious to at least a few of you.

I do try to help the site out, once in a while. And I have to get permission to change things or requests from Chip or David.

So even if I want to change something I generally don't, unless they request it, except in this case, since they can easily undo the message I added to your profile page.

I do however, believe it is one of the best forum software options available.

Still a good idea to read the documentation, if you want to know the full functionality. I understand that most people prefer to understand by osmosis then by reading or studying it. However, they might want to apply due diligence in reading user documentation, much like they would prior to purchasing mutual funds. You, ultimately are the one ...

>Having an "Add Comment" box on another member's profile page makes no sense to me - what are you commenting on?

you are making a public comment in reference to a user.

e.g. "Thanks for all your tips, they are really helpful to me".

I can see why you might not follow that, but you should comprehend it now, although you may disagree. It is can be useful and used frequently by other forums using the same software.

• edited August 2014

"@JohnChisum, see if you received the PM I just sent you.
    I think you have to click your Inbox to see it</blockquote"

I did not get it. Just the first message you sent.

• edited August 2014
    you also might want to go into Edit Profile on your page.

and Edit preferences, and check accordingly for notifications.

I've suggested this before, I think alot of people ignored it.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks Accipiter. I actually prefer not to be notified. The less I get in my email inbox the better. I get a badge notification on the inbox when I get a message and that suits me fine.

The yellow notice on the profile page makes it clear now which function is private and which is not.

One question is the purpose of the activity box. Perhaps it is not necessary and could be deleted thus making this whole question moot?

• One question is the purpose of the activity box. Perhaps it is not necessary and could be deleted thus making this whole question moot?

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would want that publicly viewable "Activity Box" or activity wall. Not sure what purpose that serves.
  • edited August 2014
    >One question is the purpose of the activity box.

I already explained the purpose in my previous post, so no need to repeat myself.

> Perhaps it is not necessary

perhaps

Probably one of those times to live, learn and adapt. now that you know how things function.
  • @rjb111
    This is late and by now irrelevant, but the comment about the cost of
  • @rjb112
    This is late, and by now irrelevant, but the comment about the cost of EVBAX referred to the ER.
    (I tried to send a private message, but couldn't find the relevant buttons. I don't visit daily, which is the other reason for the late response.)