Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barry Ritholtz on momentum trading

edited October 2011 in Off-Topic
Barry R. explains the nuance and intricacies of momentum trading:

"Meanwhile, the S&P trading range has held, and markets are still in breakout mode. Until they fade, in which case they obviously were not in breakout mode, but rather breakdown mode. In which case they will go lower, until they find support (unless that breaks) and then they go lower and find support (that holds) in which case they can reverse. Unless they don’t. If that happens, you might have been caught leaning the wrong way, which helps set the stage for the next turnaround. Unless it doesn’t. Which goes to show you how dangerous crowded trades can be. Unless they continue, cause after all we know the trend is your friend and you can’t fight the tape and its tough to be a contrarian and long and strong is the posture you want. Until it all goes into reverse, and then the trend is not your friend and you should not have gone along to get along with a tape that was a bull trap and it looks like we are heading lower. Unless we don’t.

Meanwhile, I gotta go. (Unless I don’t)."

I'm thinking I'm not the only one here who sees hisownself or herself somewhere in that runon paragraph.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/

Comments

• edited October 2011
    You too can be a Financial Commentator and make big bucks!!) Interested???
    Send just $50 to OldJoe.com, and a beautiful engraved certificate, suitable for framing, will be sent to you immediately!!
    Act NOW and I will also send you a beautiful set of genuine Ginsu steak knives, ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

That's OldJoe.com, friends, but you need to act fast!

(This offer subject to mumble-grumble-grff; some restrictions may apply in your state; your warranty may be voided without notice; "OldJoe.com" is not a part of nor associated with the US Treasury. Shipping and Handling charges may apply.)
  • Thanks, AndyJ.

Every once in awhile, one reads something that just seems to click.............

I needed this final piece of the investment puzzle to allow this house to position our portfolio in a more favorable circumstance.

I really need to print this and learn the text word for word and run it pass a few friends the next time they have a question about market direction.

I am a' think'in that he really did have to go; as in potty break.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi Old_Joe,

Very well done.
    I suspect you will take immediate action upon your portfolio to properly adjust what was an apparently flawed model based upon your studies and guides for investing using human nature, fundamentals and technical scale modeling, with a pinch of SF astrology thrown in the mix.
    When you have completed your final interpretation and analysis of Mr. R's statement; will you please share with us the final guiding light of wisdom, so that we too, may all have the positive "momentum".
    I know you are up to the task.
    Thank you in advance for your fine efforts.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I almost had my credit card number entered on OldJoe.com, and then I saw that the act now! gift wasn't the Vegamatic I crave (slices! dices! vegetables! French (er, Freedom) fries! Fingers!). I already have several scars and a missing ear from my set of Ginsu knives.
  • Yeah, Catch, my investing life will now be divided into pre-RR (Ritholtz Riff) and post-RR.