Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Walthausen Select Value

Given the recent out-performance in small caps, especially the Walthausen Small Cap Value Fund (WSCVX), I am considering selling it in favor of the Walthausen Select Value Fund (WSVRX). Asset size is much lower ($39 million vs. $853 million) for WSVRX and the fund focuses more on larger cap stocks. Plus you still get the excellent stock picking of the Walthausen Company. Any opinions?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• I own both. When WSCVX was hot, WSVRX was a little cool. Last year it was the latter that was hot. I agree with the wag who said the manager buys boring, unspectacular companies. But the results are anything but.
  • I'm guessing you've read our profile of the fund. If not, here's Walthausen Select Value.

David
  • David

Yes, your website is where I first read of Walthausen Select Value.

It seems like a good time to move into larger caps and I'm glad I can still use the stock picking geniuses behind Walthausen Small Cap Value.

Jim
  • Maybe Mr. Snowball or anyone else can answer a question that puzzles me. How does Mr. Walthausen decide which fund to buy what and where does he hold his best idea's. For example, let's say he comes across a small cap company that looks very compelling to him. Which fund will he purchase it in and why?
  • It appears that everyone else is just as puzzled as I am since no one can answer my question. Maybe this would be a great question for Mr. Snowball to ask Mr. Walthausen.
  • From the Walthausen website and fact sheets, Select Value has a market cap limit of $5B, and a soft total securities limit of between 40 or 50.

Small Cap Value has a cap limit of $2B, and currently holds over 80 securities.

There looks to substantial overlap in some names. They each have the same top holding.
  • Thanks for your reply mrdarcey. I was unable to find that info. that you provided on their website. According to Morningstar, each fund had a different top holding as of 1/31/14 and only 1 common stock among their top 5 holdings. WSCVX had 56.45% invested in small market cap and WSVRX had 55.45% invested in small market cap. I appreciate the info you provided, but we still don't have an answer. Thank's also to JimJ for bringing WSVRX to my attention.
  • His website certainly isn't very intuitive.

Basic info here

Fact sheets here

The fact sheets date from 3/31, so I'm willing to bet they are more accurate than M*.

There is also contact info, including a phone # and personal email here
  • I didn't see the fact sheets. Thank you very much, mrdarcey! Maybe I will try and contact them as well.