Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts on Wintergreen Fund

2»

Comments

• PS. I like Barbara's version of Summer Me, Winter Me better!
  • After watching the most recent Wealthtrack (March 28, 2014), an interview with David Winter, I'm finding myself increasingly concerned with Wintergreen Fund and its management. I'm a day one investor and a former Mutual Discovery holder. I found Mr. Winter's responses to questions to be pat (or simplistic) and often non-responsive in part or full. When asked about his expense ratio, he explained simply that the kind of research they do is expensive (or something to that effect). Fair enough...but wait... his firm generates nearly $30MM in fees per year and only has four investment professionals (and 8 total employees) per Wintergreen's ADV. Doesn't his answer suggest to you that he has teams of people following these investments?
  • @mman: I watched the most recent Wealthtrack interview last night, as an interested day one investor, having been very happily invested with David Winters in Mutual Beacon.
    I was pleasantly surprised when Consuelo Mack asked him about the expense ratio, and very disappointed with the answer. If I recall correctly, he said something like 'when you go to the doctor or the money doctor, you don't want to hire the cheapest you can find, but the best you can find.' I thought that lacked humility and even accuracy, considering his 1, 3 and 5 year performance as listed on Morningstar.

He continued by saying that the vast majority of mutual funds are just closet indexers, hewing very closely to an index.......and that he doesn't do that at all; he manages very actively and, and something to the effect of 'this sort of thing is very expensive.'

I scratched my head in wonderment. What on earth is he talking about? I agree with you 100%. If he had a team the size of Dodge & Cox, I could understand it. If he had stock analysts with offices in Asia, Europe, far and wide, scouring the globe for undervalued investments, I could see it. What does he do that costs so much money?

The icing on the cake.....I did not appreciate his next statement at all.......he said something to the effect that he felt that the fact that they offer lower expense Institutional shares made up for the higher expense ratios. First of all, the institutional shares charge a 1.63% expense ratio, still expensive, and require a $100,000 minimum investment. And second, that is not showing a lot of regard for those of us not in the institutional shares. He did not win any points on that answer.

So your point is very well taken: if he only has 8 employees total, and 4 investment professionals, I think the $30MM in fees you stated (I calculated $25.5 MM) is not acceptable, and they should lower the 1.85% (per M) expense ratio. How about something like 1.00% to 1.25%? That should be quite sufficient.

• OK, great, thanks Ted. Consuelo Mack has some good guests. Recently she had Robert Shiller on, and that was quite good.
  • TedTed
    edited April 2014
    @Charles You wish is my command !
    Regards,
    Ted

Evergreen: Barbra Streisand:
  • rjb112 - I agree with you completely. I have no problem paying him well but this is too much.
  • Winters continuing after Coke, questioning combined chairman/CEO role (just on CNBC.)
  • Why is Wintergreen better than ARTGX?

Lower expense, better return, lower drawdown in 2008, arguably stronger
    overall fund house

http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart.aspx?t=WGRNX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Add ARTGX to the chart and compare.
  • Perhaps true but that fund is closed to new investors...any others worth considering?
  • I own ARTHX. It does not have a long enough history, but it is from the same fund house.
  • Also look at OAKGX