Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Should I Invest In Zero Coupon Bonds?

FYI: Most people think of bonds as being appropriate for those who need regular current income without a huge amount of risk. Yet some bonds are structured specifically not to pay income currently. The special ways in which these zero coupon bonds work can make them appropriate for very different uses than the typical fixed-income security.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cetusnews.com/business/Should-I-Invest-in-Zero-Coupon-Bonds-.BkYgQZE5G.html

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Back in 2003, I bought a "zero" at a great rate, almost doubling my money over 10 years. I'm not finding quite so high a rate at that same source, these days. Anyone able to point me to a government-issued "zero" I can buy DIRECT, and denominated in dollars---like the last time--- bypassing brokers and mutual funds? Thanks. (I can't even BELIEVE how the Irish gov't lately sold a huge slug of "zeros" at a negative rate. I mean, it boggles me!)
  • If it were an individual actually asking my answer would be wait for at least a 4% yield to maturity. Since the question is just the title of an article its not clear to answer the question and we can just blame the title of the post which should be called what and why/when is a zero coupon bond