Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GMO’s Jeremy Grantham: "Bracing Yourself For A Possible Near-Term Melt-Up"

FYI: I find myself in an interesting position for an investor from the value school. I recognize on one
hand that this is one of the highest-priced markets in US history. On the other hand, as a historian
of the great equity bubbles, I also recognize that we are currently showing signs of entering the
blow-off or melt-up phase of this very long bull market
Regards,
Ted
https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-source/research-and-commentary/strategies/asset-allocation/viewpoints---bracing-yourself-for-a-possible-near-term-melt-up.pdf

Comments

• Very interesting read. Thanks, Ted.
  • Very helpful listening to on old market veteran. Thanks.
  • edited January 2018
    “... it was clearer than crystal to the lords of the State preserves of loaves and fishes, that things in general were settled for ever.” (Dickens)

I’ve pretty much stopped reading / listening to most market commentary. And I’d have a hard time advising a young person just starting out investing today to throw money at this thing. It’s human tendency to expect whatever the current trend is to continue into the future indefinitely (be it up or down in the markets). So the euphoria is understandable. Now, if you think we can keep paying little old widows 1-2% on their savings while we “geniuses” rake in in 15-25% equity gains year after year - I’ve got a bridge I’ll sell.

@PBKCM - I did catch your point recently regarding inflation and think there’s a lot of truth to that. But at these levels, except for gold and real assets, I’m baffled. Maybe valuations are more reasonable outside U.S.
  • edited January 2018
    Wow - Just waded through Grantham’s dissertation. Kudos to him and those who understand all these charts and comparisons to historical (hysterical?) bubbles. Do my fund managers at Oakmark, Dodge & Cox or TRP engage in this type of micro analysis? I rather hope not. And this type of analysis seems far removed from the kind of common sense horse wisdom voiced by the likes of Munger and Buffett over the years.

Remember the OJ trial? “If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.” When pieces of a puzzle no longer fit together it’s time to take a second look and exercise some caution. That’s all I’m getting to. When you’ve got prolonged 2 - 2.5% returns on “safe money” alongside double-digit returns on most everything else, it’s time to take a second look at the big picture. Two more parts of the puzzle - In our part of Michigan there’s “Help Wanted” signs everywhere. Yet wages and wage inflation remain very low. And during the normally slow winter construction season if you want a granite countertop professionally delivered and installed you’re looking at a 2-3 month wait after placing an order because they can’t keep up with demand. Trying to obtain decent skilled labor for renovation work during the hot summer months nearly impossible nowdays, with entire city blocks packed end-to-end with construction vehicles.

Despite the indications of a sizzling economy and years of stock market gains, interest rates at both the short and longer end (AA+) remain stubbornly stuck in the 2-2.5% range and wage inflation low. Couple the low wages with various entitlement curtailments (everything from public education to medical care) and the “average Joe” is worse off today than a decade ago. So, IMHO many pieces of the broader puzzle appear out of whack. I don’t recommend panic selling of investments. I do suggest a bit more caution be exercised, be it through raising cash, diversifying risk assets more broadly, concentrating more on funds known to have weathered financial storms well in the past, paying off debt, or just investing some of the recent gains in your own “infrastructure” (home, transportation, etc.).

I am not a financial advisor.