Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bespoke: Another 1,000 Point Dow Threshold Bites The Dust

FYI: While all the attention shifted towards bitcoin and the pace with which it traded up through different 1,000 point price levels, the DJIA just reminded investors that it too has been on quite a run. With the index on pace to close above 24,000 for the first time today, that now makes it six 1,000 point thresholds that the DJIA has crossed for the first time since last November’s Election.

The table below lists the first day that the DJIA closed above each 1,000 point threshold beginning with 1,000 way back in 1972. Obviously, the higher the index goes, the less of a percentage move each successive threshold becomes, but the recent pace has still been quick. Even more impressive is the fact that for each of the recent thresholds the DJIA has crossed, it hasn’t dipped back below very often. In fact, since last November’s election, no single 1,000 point threshold has been crossed (on a closing basis) up or down more than five times.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/another-1000-point-dow-threshold-bites-the-dust/

Comments

• Dizzying
  • TedTed
    edited November 2017
    buying Bought more Q's at the open
  • Not sure what to do at this point. Holding on for the moment.
  • edited November 2017
    Ha!:) Good one @OldJoe.!

Not religious. But did go out and buy a more expensive brand of scotch today.
    (Think of it as a different kind of “spirit.”)
  • hank said:

Ha!:) Good one @OldJoe.!

Not religious. But did go out and buy a more expensive brand of scotch today.
    (Think of it as a different kind of “spirit.”)

Single malt?
  • sold some more
    drinking same blend
    have a lot of ~3.5% debt, wondering if I should pay it down
  • edited November 2017

Single malt?

It’s all good. For the price, I’ll take Chivas or JW Black over similarity priced single malts.

Mr. Market raises lots of interesting questions. I pulled all of our needed 2018 distribution out today and moved it to cash. (Technically, won’t be “distributed” until 2018 for tax purposes). Recall the first few months of 2016 when the markets tanked big-time just as I was getting ready to take the year’s distribution. ($26 crude anyone?)

Hard to win sometimes.
  • does 1000 points even mean anything anymore?
  • 4% ? sure does
  • edited December 2017

does 1000 points even mean anything anymore?

VF - I think you have to be in the “right” funds. I did note that VFINX gained around .75% Thursday, in line with major market averages. However, suspect that for most of us in more diversified funds the gain was only about half that - maybe less. Bonds continue to be a drag - even the short and intermediates, as that part of the curve has risen the most in recent weeks. International wasn’t that hot yesterday (unless your manager threw in some FVP).

So, 1000 points doesn’t amount to a cup of warm spit for a great many. Correct that: Thursday’s 300+ gain in the Dow didn’t amount to much green for the average fund investor.:)