Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just Turned Three

edited November 2017 in Fund Discussions
There were 35 mutual funds and ETFs that turned 3 years old thru October.

Like it or not, the first 3 year performance mark can be crucial to a fund's commercial success and continued viability, since that's when Morningstar assigns its star rating.

Below please find leaders by AUM and leaders by MFO ratings (risk adjusted return based on Martin).

Three overlap: AQR Equity Market Neutral Fund R6 (QMNRX), SEI Emerging Markets Equity Fund A (SMQFX), and Ivy Mid Cap Income Opportunities Fund N (IVOSX).

Four get MFO Great Owl designations, which also first get determined at the 3 year mark: Leland Thomson Reuters Venture Capital Index Fund I (LDVIX), AQR Equity Market Neutral Fund R6 (QMNRX), First Trust Eurozone AlphaDEX ETF (FEUZ), and Schwab Fundamental Global Real Estate Index Fund (SFREX).

Comments

• IS the AQR fund still open?
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • I believe the fund is closed to new investors, unfortunately. (Although I don't like AQR Mutual Fund management!)
  • Hi @Charles , what don't you like about AQR management? You have said that in other posts too, but I don't recall if you said why. FWIW, I'm not invested in any AQR funds myself.
  • I experienced total lack of transparency from the fund firm's CEO when its risk parity fund went south ... they stopped publishing their monthly summary and only resumed after things had recovered. My inquires went from supportive initially to essentially go away. So, the shop demonstrated a deliberate lack of shareholder friendliness. While I respect Asness and the caliber of AQR's research, just don't think its fund shop puts investors first, especially retail investors. My two cents.
  • Thanks for the feed back Charles.