Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good News for Bees

edited August 2017 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I read today that the US bans the import of honeybees, which is causing a spiraling problem with inbreeding (just one breeder per hive, remember). Weird.

We've consciously constructed what appears to be a wildly successful pollinators' garden along our south wall: there's a blur of activity ranging from the huge, gentle cicada-killers and bumblebees to swarms of almost-invisible ones. It's sort of comforting to visit.

Cheers,

David
  • Cannot speak for other folks in Central Ohio, but the number of honey bees in our display garden this year is many times more than I can remember in a long time. Not sure if someone has a new hive in the area or if the population of bees has had a positive jump. Either way, it is encouraging.
  • We too seem to have more (outside Boston) than in years past. Certainly hope so.
  • Waiting for @Ted to grade this thread.
  • Maybe he's afraid to... management is participating.:)
  • And I will find the opportune moment to defend the hive...at any cost. Bees are welcome here at MFO...just saying!
  • Cool with me! :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- We also grow herbs at the Russian River place, with equally good results, and we use a lot of thyme. For a long time we (and our neighbors) had descendants of the poppies that I planted years ago, but the floods last year seem to have killed them off. The California poppies seem to thrive in sandy/rocky/dry places, and don't like too much water or rich soil.