Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Millennials Are Making Long-Term Investments In Big Tech Stocks

FYI: As goes Silicon Valley, so goes millennials' money.

The top five holdings for young adults are all tech stocks, and none are dividend-yielding stocks sought by the general investing population, according to a report from TD Ameritrade.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/10/millennials-are-making-long-term-investments-in-big-tech-stocks.html

Comments

• We'll see what their definition of long-term is when the next bear market hits.
  • @MFO Members: For those of you who are not aware Bob Cochran works for PDS Planning Inc. in Columbus Ohio. Bob has been a major contributor to both MFO and FundAlarm.Com, For a Bio on Bob, click on his name on the PDS Planning Website.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://pdsplanning.com/our-story/our-team/
  • @BobC, Those millennials who I work with for the last two decades are different alright. Many did not fare well during two bear cycles in 2000-2002 and 2007. Sadly some are still sitting on the sideline in 100% cash.
  • Yea, even with my own millennials it's hard to convince them that investing in the tried and true hitters who spray it all over the field year after year is a better bet than the hitter who cranks out a grand slam once every 5-10 years.

However, if they wanted to construct an investing motif of their five to ten best tech stock ideas I wouldn't discourage them.
  • edited July 2017
    Over the last dozen years, I think, one of my kids did an undergraduate econ paper analyzing Apple, then revisited it in grad school, and after that as a blogger --- and each time (so now perhaps up to 4-5 instances), I thought to myself, 'Hmm, interesting, I wonder, ... still looks awfully expensive, we better pass.'

Phooey.