Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Waggoner: Fidelity: Will Goldilocks Market Have A Happy Ending?

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
Fidelity Investments is warning that a fairy tale stock market may not have a fairy tale ending.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Fidelity:+Will+Goldilocks+market+have+a+happy+ending?+investment+news

Comments

• Why would anyone listen to Timmer? He ran a fund for several years and got booted off due to poor performance.
  • uh, is there anything in what he says that seems truly off?
  • It doesn't seem truly off but it is. He talks a good game but isn't a good investor.
  • He's not talking a game. I wonder if we're reading the same article. You are saying he is wrong about China and the fed?
  • I don't know if he's right or wrong about China and the Fed. I'm simply saying his thoughts aren't worth listening to. He knows how to talk but is not a good investor. That's it. One's wealth would be higher by not listening to him.
  • uh, okay. It's not an article about that, though. Whatever.
  • edited July 2017
    Got kind of an apples & oranges thing going on there. Macro (big trends affecting investment, economics) and micro (investing in specific securities) are different. Plenty of "pros" are good at one and not so good at the other, so dismissing out of hand someone's thoughts on A because they're not good at B may be a little hasty.

(Don't know this guy, so don't have an opinion on how he is at A, but others have been saying basically the same things.)
  • Can you guys tell me sometimes his "insights" were profitable?
  • oh, sure

like a lot of macro types the points made often seem a little late, but that is built into that kind of role

this caused me to buy some EM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-05-19/jurrien-timmer-on-being-bullish-on-emerging-markets-video

but again, not the newest new news exactly.